How Fast you did you go in your E36?

Very nice carcus! Good old American pushrod grunt. Did you have any mods besides the air box and the stall convertor (looks like you also had an aftermarket mass air flow sensor)? I like the Corvette injector covers, btw.

Have you checked out the website in my signature? It shows pics of my '67 and a list of some of the things I've done to it. I miss my Camaro too. I'm in medical school now and left my Camaro at my parents' home in SC. I was home last weekend and took it for a drive - it felt so good to get behind the wheel of that car again - wish I could afford to have it up here with me!

Last edited:

carcus

1000 Post Club
Had an aftermarket MAF, nice cutout....miss that roar, reprogramed the ECU, ducted the ram air, Yank 3000, tore out the stock intake, a few other things. Stock cam, the converter tore up M6 off the line. Damn...hate talking to you....you make me miss the car.....LOL. I used to post on LS1.COM alot, some good people there. Actually, still post there. Lots of old F-Body verts. One had the stock 302 in it......block alone is worth almost as much as the car.[;)]

That is a SWEET ride!!!! Love that car. Please tell me you drive it as a daily driver!!!

I hate to hijack this thread to an American muscle car discussion, but thanks for the kind words, carcus.

Your LS1 sounds like it was pretty cool.

Yeah, I drove it as my daily driver from 1996 up until May of this year. It was the only car I had or wanted. The restoration has been a "work in progress" over since I got it in '96. I started my first year of med school in August of this year at Wake Forest University in NC and really needed something more economical (my Camaro gets about 9 mpg) and something that I don't have to periodically diddle with to keep it running, so I found my Bimmer in the paper for $1,500. I wish I could have my Camaro up here with me to drive once in a while, but I can't really afford to have both cars insured - I'm living on borrowed money. I love my Bimmer (I've always been a big Bimmer fan), but when I drove my Camaro last weekend, I remembered how much fun that car is to drive - soooo much power!

I'm a first-gen Camaro fanatic. I know entirely too much about those cars, and I want every one of them that I see. One day, I would love to find and buy a '69 RS/SS 396/375 hp Pace Car convertible with 4 speed - that would be the ultimate in my book! By the way, if someone over at LS1.com told you that their convertible first gen Camaro had an original 302 (which means it's a Z/28), he's full of crap. There was only one first gen Z/28 convertible built (it was built for the general manager of Chevy at the time, Pete Estes), and it's in original unrestored factory condition and owned by a guy who I think lives in Virginia or somewhere up there - the car is priceless.

Matt325ic

The fastest car I have ever ridden (note not my car a buddies) was a RX-7 that he had mods and mods and mods and more mods added to it. We were in Japan on a streach of expressway called the Yoko Yoko and he buried the gauge so I cant really give a exact measurement of speed but I was scared sh*tless. He had a huge wing but it still seemed to hover the road at those speeds.
Needless to say we got a dirty look from the toll booth guy after reading the time stamped on the ticket between gates. [nono]

btw, the mclaren F1 does 391 kph which equals 243 mph. i saw that the official mclaren page says 387 but i have a video with an english driver where he goes to 391. i mean not that 4 kph really matter.....

150 Last Sunday

I was heading back from my friends house and just started flying up Bryan Blvd, a 2 lane hwy. I hauled ass all the way to may exit, screaming past fellow drivers. I was scared to look at the speedometer b/c I didn't want to lose concentration, but I saw it, 150 baby. When I pulled up to the light and turned left and then turned into the Lowes parking lot because I was hungry. A black ford contour pulled up behind me and out comes Johnny Law. ****! I blew past an off duty cop. Turns out he was tired and didn't take it further. WHEW!!!!!!!! I'm taking it easy now, that was my get out of jail card. Someone's looking out for me.

Something similar happened to my dad. He was driving to work and blew by a corvette. Then he noticed that the guy started following him. After a few exits my dad reached his turn and got off the high way. The corvette went from the farthest left lane (3 lane high way) into the exit on the right. Then he blew 2 red lights and followed my dad into the parking lot. The guy got out of the car and yelled for something like 10 or 15 minutes about how dangerous my dad's driving was (about 80mph) although the dude did far worse things. In the end of the day we came to a conclusion that he was an off duty cop and couldn't do anything except for yelling. My dad sure took easy after that and he now is much more carefull. That taught me a lesson too.

I regularly get mine above 110. That's pretty easy. Haven't tried to top it out yet.

Fastest ever was 165 on my GSXR 600. Speedo was probably a little off though. Also hit 155 in my 1987 Ford Tbird Tubo Coupe. That was accurate. Speedo was beyond pegged. Us engineering geeks had to figure speed based upon rpm, tranny ratio, rear end ratio, and tire size. Also had 4 people in the car.

jnyost said:
I regularly get mine above 110. That's pretty easy. Haven't tried to top it out yet.

Fastest ever was 165 on my GSXR 600. Speedo was probably a little off though. Also hit 155 in my 1987 Ford Tbird Tubo Coupe. That was accurate. Speedo was beyond pegged. Us engineering geeks had to figure speed based upon rpm, tranny ratio, rear end ratio, and tire size. Also had 4 people in the car.
If you did not account for the effect of drag, you calculated theoretical top speed only. Drag is a huge issue at speeds above 100 MPH, and that T-bird was a brick in terms of CoD.

If that T-Bird was anything close to stock, 155 is simply not possible, even with one person in the car.

brahtw8 said:
If you did not account for the effect of drag, you calculated theoretical top speed only. Drag is a huge issue at speeds above 100 MPH, and that T-bird was a brick in terms of CoD.

If that T-Bird was anything close to stock, 155 is simply not possible, even with one person in the car.
Why would you have to correct for drag when calculating speed. Where would the loss be?? Simple physics allow you to calculate speed with the knowns listed above. The tbird was a brick but I wasn't calculating theoretical, it was actual. I was doing it. The only way I would have been off would have been with the tire size. They change with stuff like weight, temperature, humidity, cetrifical force, etc.

The car would do it. It took a while but it did. I never modified the car but there was something special about it. It boosted 18psi from the time I bought it. I rode in a couple others but they didn't run close. The car was hard to imagine.

jnyost said:
Why would you have to correct for drag when calculating speed. Where would the loss be?? Simple physics allow you to calculate speed with the knowns listed above. The tbird was a brick but I wasn't calculating theoretical, it was actual. I was doing it. The only way I would have been off would have been with the tire size. They change with stuff like weight, temperature, humidity, cetrifical force, etc..
If you calculate theoretical top speed using max RPM, rear axle ratio, gear ratio in top gear, tire size, etc., lets assume you get 170 MPH. If the car doesn't have enough power, it may well have an actual top speed of 150 MPH, because drag will overcome power. It is also possible the car is undergeared, such that you have power to spare when you reach redline in top gear.

So far so good, and I don't think you disagree.

The key is what happens when you hit the drag limited speed. I must confess I don't really know. If you can still increase RPM, albeit without increasing speed, then I think your calculations need to take drag into account. If the tachometer essentially hits a rev limiter imposed by air resistance, than one does not need to take CoD into account.

The key is whether you can still increase RPM (without increasing speed) when you hit actual top speed that is drag limited. If you can, then I am correct. If you can't, you are correct (assuming the tire issue does not change the variables).

Having thought more about it, I would expect the RPM to correspond to actual road speed, such that you would hit a CoD imposed rev limiter, (which means your calculations should be accurate) but I don't know for sure.

jnyost said:
The car would do it. It took a while but it did. I never modified the car but there was something special about it. It boosted 18psi from the time I bought it. I rode in a couple others but they didn't run close. The car was hard to imagine.
18 psi sounds like a lot of boost. That could account for the significant difference from the other turbo coupes.

brahtw8 said:
If you calculate theoretical top speed using max RPM, rear axle ratio, gear ratio in top gear, tire size, etc., lets assume you get 170 MPH. If the car doesn't have enough power, it may well have an actual top speed of 150 MPH, because drag will overcome power. It is also possible the car is undergeared, such that you have power to spare when you reach redline in top gear.

So far so good, and I don't think you disagree.

The key is what happens when you hit the drag limited speed. I must confess I don't really know. If you can still increase RPM, albeit without increasing speed, then I think your calculations need to take drag into account. If the tachometer essentially hits a rev limiter imposed by air resistance, than one does not need to take CoD into account.

The key is whether you can still increase RPM (without increasing speed) when you hit actual top speed that is drag limited. If you can, then I am correct. If you can't, you are correct (assuming the tire issue does not change the variables).

Having thought more about it, I would expect the RPM to correspond to actual road speed, such that you would hit a CoD imposed rev limiter, (which means your calculations should be accurate) but I don't know for sure.

18 psi sounds like a lot of boost. That could account for the significant difference from the other turbo coupes.
It did boost 18psi and it was a huge difference between the others I had driven. I was even able to beet a newer supercoupe and most 5.0s. There was definately something different with this car. Something happened with the car later and the waste gate finally fried open. It wouldn't stop boosting. If you held the pedal to the floor, it would boost the needle off the guage. It sounded like it was going to fly apart.

I do agree with your first paragraph. Your theoretical speed will never be your actual. Drag (wind and tire) will reduce your actual top speed. I never tried to calculate that.

With your second paragraph, if you were able to increase rpm without speed, then there is a loss somewhere. If it were an automatic, that is probable. The loss would be in the converter. Otherwise it would have to be the clutch or tires. Agreed? Pretty unlikely that your would increase rpm without speed.

Once again, I calculated afterwards based upon what I was actually doing. It took miles and miles to get there. I'm not saying it was easy. I hit a pretty good speed within the first mile and then it took a few more to finally get there.

jnyost said:
With your second paragraph, if you were able to increase rpm without speed, then there is a loss somewhere. If it were an automatic, that is probable. The loss would be in the converter. Otherwise it would have to be the clutch or tires. Agreed? Pretty unlikely that your would increase rpm without speed.
I understand how road speed translates back into gearing and engine speed. What I don't understand is how the engine is unable or refuses to accept the throttle input when you are trying to force it past an RPM that corresponds to the drag limited top speed by continuing to press the throttle. Nevertheless, I do agree that is what happens if a car has a drag limited top speed.

And, I do think you need to take drag into account, at any speed, although it is a relative non-issue at lower speeds. If drag builds up to point where the car cannot go any faster, and that process is gradual, it does operate to slow the car down at lower speeds until it reaches enough strength to stop the car from accelerating any further. Gearing only reflects what you would be doing if we didn't have an atmosphere or friction from the tires. Normally these are non-issues, but at some point they (meaning wind resistance, for the most part) may stop your car in its tracks before redline. Wind resistance is always an issue, and its impact is directly proportional to speed.

Some cars do not have a top speed that is limited by drag. If you put a lower rear end ratio on a powerful car you could redline every gear, albeit with a top speed that may be lower than it was, depending upon gearing and wind resistance.

In my car I've gotten up around 130 twice. Both times I ran out of road, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't go much more. It's 12 years old and has 200k miles on it.

Sidenote: I went 185 in a stock car around Atlanta Motor Speedway. I wasn't driving, but it was still incredible. The awesome thing is that I had no fear whatsoever, much unlike when I was going 130 in my car (scared the crap out of me). The forces on your body at that speed is incredible. You hit those turns and the g's just smash you down. I plan on doing it again some day.

140 - but hoping to beat that this summer

I've been up to 140 (and for fairly extended period) in my Toyota MR2...out in Arizona (Navajo Indian reservation!)...overtook a porsch 911 in the process...and with my Audi I've been up to 135...though it had a ways to go...just haven't had the oppurtunity/open road to stretch it out more just yet...

This summer we wil pick up a 330i ZHP in Germany. I'm hoping to get an oppurtunity to max it on the Autobahn - we'll be there 3 weeks and will be doing lots of driving so I'm hoping it will be broken in a bit...speaking of - any advice on break in periods and such for this car? I'm generally not a believer in the full up don't go over such and such speed or RPM for the first 1,500 miles or what have you...though I certainly wont take it into the red right off the bat...and I'll ease into it (as best I can restrain myself... [nono] )