How Fast you did you go in your E36?

carcus

1000 Post Club
Well, guess I will bite, in my 98 Camaro LS1, hit about 150, this was in Idaho and no traffic, out here, after trading in the Camaro for the Bimmer, sad to say about 70....lots of stop lights and no where to open it up. Not that I support high speed driving.....now, on the SuperStrada in Italy with my Alfa Guiletta.....I had some fun. Until I realised what the flashing lights ment and a Porsche 911 euro spec taught me a lesson.[;)]

My 318 wasn't really built for speed. I've had it over 100 a time or two. When I was young and stupid, I went 125+ in my RX-7. Maybe not really fast for a lot of people, but plenty fast for me.

thats not your pic life with bmw is it? lol
that's a quick car indeed. i've no E36 but
they are limited i think to 130 ish?

150 in the camaro? what kind of mods did
it have as far as suspension? u mentioned
some crazy engine mods in a previous post
so i know u have the power to get there but
no way u felt safe with a camaro stock suspension

I dont think "top end" as much as "handling". I would like to think one can "beat" me at a traffic light , or in a straight line, or thru a corn field-but just try me on a VERY twisty road! I feel that is where the fun is!
If I was interested in high speed I would look elsewhere. I just want a quality auto that is as much fun in the "twisties" as it is on the something like the Mass. turnpike. (sorry )
OH! Top speed: 85MPH- I thought I was doing 70-I had just picked her up and was used to my past cars! NOW I watch speedo- She's just too smooth/stable!!!
I can't wait to see what others have gotten them up to!!

Of course

Well thats the E36 all about. I love turns and handeling but on the other hand BMW is build for the top end too. Im just wondering. But Ill tell you cornering is awsome well hurling down the autobahn at 150, that pumps your blood all the way to your ears.

[driving] [wave]

notice the high mileage on my car, 153k miles and it still can hit 120 with lots to go. I took this picture while driving at the same time - shows how stable the car was.

On the way back home - it was nightime and I was young and foolish. It was kinda windy yet I still pushed it to 125 (harder to tell cuz my hand was shaking). It went all the way to 130+ mph indicated speed before the limiter kicked in. I made it from Berkeley to LA in about 4 hrs. I was running Yoko AVS Intermediates - Z rated tires. And I was stupid - I do not condone this type of activity.

Attachments

carcus

1000 Post Club
I hit 120 in a Honda......Once you hit 150 plus.....your balls go into your throat.........you think about thoughts....what about a front tire blow out....what if a cop gets me going reckless speeds......Fastest I have been...163 MPH....and not in a BMW.....scares the CRAP out of you. Was done in Idaho on the Interstate, 0200hrs....will never do it again. Most cars will hit 120....most 12 second trap cars hit over 110 in the 1/4 mile.[;)]

If you hit over 25mph over the speed limit, cop nails you....cuff and stuff....licence is gone...go to jail. If you wreck.....check out some nice Autobahn accidents.....funny thing is, I have driven faster in the US than in Europe on the AUtoStrada. My 328IC....doubt it gets up to 135....with the miles and suspention on it, would not want to test it. Don't hate the player, hate the game.[:p]

i run into my governor all the time. the needle gets to about 132, but all other data says its limited to 128mph, but stock telemetry is often off by a few mph at high speeds anyways. so 128mph i guess.

carcus

1000 Post Club
I thought the speed govener hit at 137 MPH.......at least for stock cars with no chip. Takes a hella time to get there. If you want to beat the governer....need programming or chipping. I would not suggest a 10 year car with stock tires even getting close to those speeds. Even on a 1/4 mile drag strip....I doubt anyone with a stock E36 breaks 95 plus trap speeds.....un modded. The HP is just not there and believe it or not, the BMW is a heavy car. Funny thing is I seed things like this..............

"i have a 96 m3 evo and have had it off the clock the gps was showing 193mph"

Someone has to put down the crack pipe...the aerodynamics will not permit that. Even a Vette will not touch that and is limited by drag and HP. My stock 328 will never see 150.....nor would I try it with a 6 year old car and suspention. Flame suit on.[:o)]

carcus

1000 Post Club
i have a 96 m3 evo and have had it off the clock the gps was showing 193mph

By the way....LOL....that was from another BMW board.....LOL.....was a real post. Must have had a rocket mounted on it.[;)]

mine tops at about 139mph, but it takes a while [rolleyes] funny thing is there is still room for more 'cause i keep bouncing of the rev limiter in 5.

mines got ~120k on it

at carcus 193 is a little fast vor a evo but i've had my friends '01 M3 without govoneur up to about 181 and there was still room but the traffic stoped me [paranoid]

greetz

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
carcus said:
I thought the speed govener hit at 137 MPH.......at least for stock cars with no chip. Takes a hella time to get there. If you want to beat the governer....need programming or chipping. I would not suggest a 10 year car with stock tires even getting close to those speeds. Even on a 1/4 mile drag strip....I doubt anyone with a stock E36 breaks 95 plus trap speeds.....un modded. The HP is just not there and believe it or not, the BMW is a heavy car. Funny thing is I seed things like this..............

"i have a 96 m3 evo and have had it off the clock the gps was showing 193mph"

Someone has to put down the crack pipe...the aerodynamics will not permit that. Even a Vette will not touch that and is limited by drag and HP. My stock 328 will never see 150.....nor would I try it with a 6 year old car and suspention. Flame suit on.[:o)]
but i have spoken with an e39 M5 driver who was neck and neck at 180Mph with an E36 M3 you can't tell me aerodynamics wont allow it!!! and stock tires are speed rated for what ever speed is possible. mine are for 140 but my dads M5 are rated for 190Mph.

Hey guys, I dunno what this top speed is in Mph, but I was hiting 230km/h in myfriends E30 325is and I still had to change to 5th gear, Mind you this is not a standard Engine, it is an E36 M3 3,2lt motor, this is why im gonna put the type of engine in mine, but with a nice big supercharger, the only thing that stopped me from going even faster is that I came to a stop light.