How Fast you did you go in your E36?

Don't forget the E36 M3 evo has essentially the same engine as the E46 M3, making 321 hp. in stock trim. 193 sounds a little high, but they have different gearing in their cars which should result in a higher top speed than you would expect with the american version (accounting for the engine difference) and the car may have been modified.

230 km/h is equal to 142.8 mph, based on a conversion of .621 miles per kilometer.

Don't forget the speedometers generally read high.

I have hit 130 mph in my 325i, before I backed off, and 115-120 mph on track.

Don't be so concerned with street racing and top speed. We all know what can happen, regardless of how skilled you think you are (or actually are).

For anyone who has not seen the M3 Tragedy thread (general section), I suggest you take a look before you do your next high speed run on public roads. [thumb]

http://www.bmwboard.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2789

I hit 118 in my brother's E36 318is just yesterday. Don't know how, but my E30 318ic will hit just a tick above 120. Not going to do it again though. The road isn't exactly smooth where i hit those speeds (it's just where i know the cops won't be)

carcus

1000 Post Club
mikev said:
but i have spoken with an e39 M5 driver who was neck and neck at 180Mph with an E36 M3 you can't tell me aerodynamics wont allow it!!! and stock tires are speed rated for what ever speed is possible. mine are for 140 but my dads M5 are rated for 190Mph.
Just because the car has speed rated tires does not mean it will hit high MPH by 190......Car would have to be geared for high speed and would suffer at quick start. No way even a stock M5 nor a M3 will hit 190. Drag plays a part. BMW is really a pretty square car.

carcus

1000 Post Club
Militant-Grunt said:
I have seen porshes going 230mph on the autobahn. easy...
I hold up the BS flag on that also. Not even a Lambo hits those speeds.....I think you are thinking clicks.....KPH. You show me a car that 230..........that you see everyday.[rolleyes]

I spent 3 years in Europe also.....230!!!! Takes alot of HP to make that....nothing a stock BMW or Porsche has....plus they will not drive like that in traffic.

Weight, gearing, HP, all adds into the equasion. This post is getting kinda out of hand.....LOL.
But I will play along.

McLaren......it is possible under the right conditions.[:D]

carcus said:
Just because the car has speed rated tires does not mean it will hit high MPH by 190......Car would have to be geared for high speed and would suffer at quick start. No way even a stock M5 nor a M3 will hit 190. Drag plays a part. BMW is really a pretty square car.
And in that same vein, nor does having a 200 mph speedometer mean that the car can do 200 mph. Also, indicated mph is not the same as actual. Many read 5-10 mph high at such speeds.

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
carcus said:
My GOD, You really are an argumentitive ass. i didn't say that in any wy shape or form. READ WHAT I POST. i replied to I would not suggest a 10 year car with stock tires even getting close to those speeds simply saying that there are no problems with stock tires and running up to what ever speed they are able to do. I also said 180MPH not 190. keep in mind that 400Bhp goes a long way.

Someone said the M3 Evo has the 321 hp engine which is basically the same as the E46 M3 engine. Well, in germany the E36 M3 had 321 hp stock in the last years of that series. that is no evo. the new E46 M3 has a completly different engine than that i believe. where does that info come from that both are very similar/basically same?

the porsche that flyes down the autobahn is a joke or total exaggeration. first the turbo makes it to 191 mph, the GT2 to 199 mph, the GT3 to 192 mph and even the Carrera GT finishes at 206 mph.
All those porsche models do not manage 230. possible that several ruf models can do, but you won't see them. if ever you will see one, not them. they are as rare as a mclaren F1 in the street that btw, is capable of those speeds.

carcus

1000 Post Club
mikev said:
My GOD, You really are an argumentitive ass. i didn't say that in any wy shape or form. READ WHAT I POST. i replied to I would not suggest a 10 year car with stock tires even getting close to those speeds simply saying that there are no problems with stock tires and running up to what ever speed they are able to do. I also said 180MPH not 190. keep in mind that 400Bhp goes a long way.
I prefer to be called "Prick", please get that straight......I feel the love.[wave]

Wadula said:
Someone said the M3 Evo has the 321 hp engine which is basically the same as the E46 M3 engine. Well, in germany the E36 M3 had 321 hp stock in the last years of that series. that is no evo. the new E46 M3 has a completly different engine than that i believe. where does that info come from that both are very similar/basically same?
That was me.

My understanding is that the 3.2 liter M3 in Europe, 1996-1999, was called the Evo, although this may have been in the UK only. All euro 3.2 liter M3s make 321 hp, while the 3.0 liter european cars were 286 hp. I believe all 3.2 liter euro M3s were evos, while the 3.0s were not.

It is also my understanding that the S52 (3.2 liter euro M3 engine) is very similar to the engine in the E46 M3, and that with the E46 we finally got the engine we missed out on with the E36. I do know that both engines are inline sixes with individual throttle bodies for each cylinder, that being the main difference over the US E36 M3 engines and the reason for the horsepower disparity between them. I think they have different bore and stroke and what not, as the E36 was 3201cc and the E46 is 3246cc, but the point I was making was the similar power numbers and the individual throttle bodies.

All of this info. was gleaned from other sources, but can be verified at the below site and anywhere else google may take you.

http://www.bmwcarclubgb.co.uk/sections/mpwr/Mspecs/specFset.htm

I saw this program on discovery channel about the autobahn. They tested a RUF Porsche, sorry I don't remember the model, it was a long time ago, but that car hit 212mph with the camera crew in the back seat, don't know how the dude or two guys can fit there with a camera but I do remember the spedo showed 212mph. They were testing it before delivering it to some guy in UK.

brahtw8, the 3.2 in germany was never called evo, so much for my wondering. i guess it is only a question how you name the child right?! [hihi]

for the differences between the 3.2l in E36 and the E46 M3 engine, i always thought that the E46 engine was a complete new developed one. of course on the known basis of the E36 M3 inline 6, but aren't they somehow the same? the ingredients though are different and that is where my knowledge ends. i just thought somehow they are different engines from different genoms let's say.

bahnstormer said:
150 in the camaro? what kind of mods did
it have as far as suspension? u mentioned
some crazy engine mods in a previous post
so i know u have the power to get there but
no way u felt safe with a camaro stock suspension
I've heard that late model 4th generation F-bodies Z28s and Trans Ams can run 150 mph stably and easy on stock suspension. The suspension is not the limiting factor in the top speed.

Fastest I've ever been was about 110 in my '67 when I was younger and much stupider. Now that was scary - the car had more (2.73:1 rear end gearing in my Camaro), but 30-some year old suspension technology (car started to float and sway) and 4 wheel drum non-power brakes told me I'd better not go any faster than that.

carcus

1000 Post Club
Wadula said:
hey prick, is that your designates user title now? [hihi] peace guys....
Well either Prick or Sergeant Prick....heck, makes no difference to me. Just trying to cut the tension. Arguing on the internet cracks me up.[:D]

Most of the time when threads get out of hand, someone takes it personal.....than all hell brakes loose.[;)]

carcus

1000 Post Club
jrt67ss350 said:
I've heard that late model 4th generation F-bodies Z28s and Trans Ams can run 150 mph stably and easy on stock suspension. The suspension is not the limiting factor in the top speed.

Fastest I've ever been was about 110 in my '67 when I was younger and much stupider. Now that was scary - the car had more (2.73:1 rear end gearing in my Camaro), but 30-some year old suspension technology (car started to float and sway) and 4 wheel drum non-power brakes told me I'd better not go any faster than that.
The LS1 is a nice car, still miss it. It is speed limited at 163. Would love to see that 67. Have crusin the coast going on out here, nice muscle car show. Kinda feel out of place with the BMW but still have fun seeing the classics.

My old car....

Attachments

Life with BMW!!!

The facts are. The 1994 325i is capable of going up to 160mph. The European M3 E36 has never been called EVO or anything close. It is only a M3 and the difference beetwen the Euro M3 and U.S. M3 is that the Euro version has a individual multi throttle intake system. The latest M3 E36 version had a 3.2l 321hp engine. The needle on the speedo is capable of reaching 190mph. I have been driven in a M3 E36 sedan at the autobahn doing around 185mph. The new E46 M3 has a 3.25l engine producing 343hp and her top speed performance is very close with the E36 M3. The E39 M5 is a monster and it can reach speeds of up to 200mph.

to the article for someone who said porsche going 230mph. Well.[:)]

One of the fastest porsche is RUF R Turbo which can go 212mph.

Hamann claims there 620hp 911 GT2 can go over 220mph but 230 is little too much even tough germans have very good tricks![rofl]

The Fastest Production car on the planet is the MC Laren F1 which probably everybody knows![;)]

That BMW engine is just remarkable. No one have ever build something like that. Naturaly aspirated 638hp 6.1l engine will smoke any car. Car was tested and set the speed record at 241mph. MC laren is the best.

THATS WHY ITS POWERED BY BMW![pray] [pray] [pray]

And I dont know what kind of 325i's you have and how do you take care of them but my can pull to 150mph pretty quick.[burnout]

One more thing. As probably you do not know this but the BMW speedometers needle usually goes even behind the highest top speed number of course with the reprogramed ECU.[driving]

Last edited:

carcus

1000 Post Club
The euro spec cars used to be geared different and also have less emission controls and safety restrictions on them as well, resulting in weight difference. I remember stationed in Italy, to import a euro spec car, alot had to be changed....I still remember my BMW 316, they never imported the 316 to the states if I remember.

316 is pretty good

Yes they never brought the 316 here. No idea why. But its a pretty car. A lots of people would probably prefer to buy the BMW 316 here than something else because of the quality. and not everybody needs a 400hp. Especialy those asian ladies behind the wheel!![fake]

What do you think?[???1]

Re: Life with BMW!!!

lifewithbmw said:
The facts are. The 1994 325i is capable of going up to 160mph. The European M3 E36 has never been called EVO or anything close. It is only a M3 and the difference beetwen the Euro M3 and U.S. M3 is that the Euro version has a individual multi throttle intake system. The latest M3 E36 version had a 3.2l 321hp engine. The needle on the speedo is capable of reaching 190mph. I have been driven in a M3 E36 sedan at the autobahn doing around 185mph. The new E46 M3 has a 3.25l engine producing 343hp and her top speed performance is very close with the E36 M3. The E39 M5 is a monster and it can reach speeds of up to 200mph.

driving]
Even with the rev limiter removed, an otherwise unmodified E36 325i does not reach 160 mph.

I don't care what your speedometer says, the gearing and HP do not allow for it, and that is without taking wind resistance into account. Take your overly generous estimate of 210 hp/210 ft/lbs, your final drive ratio, and fifth gear ratio, and do some math. If you need the formula, let me know.

Many magazines have documented the european 325i top speed at 141 MPH. I refer you to Autocar and Motor and others quoted in the 3-series enthusiast's companion, published by Bentley.

Second, the E36 M3 3.2 was called evolution in the UK and elsewhere in Europe, as confirmed by Autocar (10/6/99), Performance Car, and the Bentley companion.

If you were doing 185 MPH in an E36 sedan, the car was modified. Period. An unmodified M3 can't do more than 160-165, even with the 321 hp. mill.

The stock E39 M5 doesn't exceed 180-185 mph ungoverned. Why don't you post your 200 mph fantasy on m5board.com and see what they tell you.

Finally, my 325i is in perfect health and as quick as any other similarly modified 325i. You want to check it out, you know where to find me.

I don't mean to flame, but you came off a little strong there. You don't have the final word on this topic, and neither do I.

BTW, "MC Laren" is actually McLaren, one word. Search for my earlier posts on McLaren's history, now a part of the TAG-McLaren Group, or google your way to their website.

[wave]