skid plate

so after having my oil pan near cracked in half from hitting a dip in the road here I've decided it might be a good idea to invest in a metal skid plate for my BMW

does anyone know of anybody that has an aftermarket skid plate that offers some actual protection for my oil pan?

All of the south african built 325i's had one from factory.

It is a metal plate the bolts to the front subframe at the rea, and has a tubular frame at the front that bolts to the chassis.

I can't find a picture on the web, but I could take one of the one on my car sometime during the weekend maybe? They are really well built.

Mine hits the road a fair bit (good for sparks at night???) and half the time I wonder if it wouldn't hit at all if I didn't have it lol! but the odd time I've tried going up a drive with a big lip in the gutter and its hit, and I've been able to keep going knowing I'm not doing any damage means I'll never remove it.

It's also really good to jack the car up from - just put the jack under the tubular frame and lift.

OK mine is nothing like either of those.

The rear attaches in the same place and has a hole like the second one to allow access to the sump plug. Made of plate steel with small corrugations for extra strength.

Both of those attach to the front chassis crossmember which isn't all that strong. Mine attaches to the chassis rails in the wheel well.

This is the one in the parts catalogue, but is totally different to mine.

as far as i can tell the second one is my best bet going by reviews on the r3vlimited forums but if you can find somewhere that i can buy the south African one i would be very grateful because that sounds like it can stand up to a landmine

Haha, yeah - in that country I wouldn't be surprised if that's why they put it on. I'm considering drilling holes in mine for weight saving!

They're really common in NZ, but not so sure about your part of the world. They sell for around $60odd $NZ, but shipping would be a killer.

damn you shipping

i have seen a m325i running around town here

isn't that a south Africa car or something (i might be completely wrong but i heard that somewhere)

maby they want to sell me their skid plate

Correct, but as we all know, the ETK is not all-encompassing or entirely accurate. Often part no.s are out of date aswell (from my personal experience).

All of the SA cars I have seen (about a dozen) have the sump guard like mine. All of the pictures on google show the factory one like in the catalogue so obviously there were at least 2 factory sump guards.

my cars at a stock ride height and i know the rear shocks are about three or four years old (bilstein sports) but i'm not too sure about the front ones. its just that here in Colorado we have some of the worst roads in the country from all the freezing and thawing water so my oil pan takes a bit of a beating

my cars at a stock ride height and i know the rear shocks are about three or four years old (bilstein sports) but i'm not too sure about the front ones. its just that here in Colorado we have some of the worst roads in the country from all the freezing and thawing water so my oil pan takes a bit of a beating

Woah, must be some serious pot holes round where you live.

Ever thought of buying a tank! lol j/ks.

Seriously, e30's at stock ride hight are ridiculous...