Z3 rear window replacement

• Thread starter Toni M. McDonough
  • Start date
T

Toni M. McDonough

I have put up with a fogged up rear window for over a year now. I bought my 2000 Z3 used and the rear window was pretty bad. Not knowing much about maintaining that plastic window, I did not realize that it was damaged beyond repair. I have tried the mirror glaze polishing and cleaner products from BMW, they only help a little. I finally decided to have it replaced and got a quote from my local dealer and thought it was outrageous. I got another quote from another dealer and it was somewhat lower and I was wondering if anyone out there has had this done and what it should cost?

Toni M. McDonough said:
I have put up with a fogged up rear window for over a year now. I bought my 2000 Z3 used and the rear window was pretty bad. Not knowing much about maintaining that plastic window, I did not realize that it was damaged beyond repair. I have tried the mirror glaze polishing and cleaner products from BMW, they only help a little. I finally decided to have it replaced and got a quote from my local dealer and thought it was outrageous. I got another quote from another dealer and it was somewhat lower and I was wondering if anyone out there has had this done and what it should cost?
I will check into it at work tomorrow and let you know what it should be worth. [read] [:)]

I was at the dealer a few weeks ago and asked the parts kid what a new rear window would cost for my 1996 Z3 1.9. He said is was $119. I suspect labor would run about 2 to 3 hours at $85 per hour. I don't know if it requires special tools but if it doesn't I would try to do it myself.

T

Toni M. McDonough

Rear Window replacement

Thanks for the info. I did some more searching on the net and found a great article on installation. The window usually comes with an installation tool kit and it did not look overly difficult.
My dealer quoted $140 for the window and $415 labor. I think that is very high. The do it your selfers say it takes about 1 1/2 hours. Since I live an hour from the nearest dealer, I think I will buy over the net and install myself.

Re: Rear Window replacement

Toni M. McDonough said:
Thanks for the info. I did some more searching on the net and found a great article on installation. The window usually comes with an installation tool kit and it did not look overly difficult.
My dealer quoted $140 for the window and $415 labor. I think that is very high. The do it your selfers say it takes about 1 1/2 hours. Since I live an hour from the nearest dealer, I think I will buy over the net and install myself.
Could you post or link to the article? I'd like to stick it in my files for future reference.

grc

i have found out now that the window gets damaged by rubbing down in the well on the plastic interior trim piece down in there. i have a towel down there now but it's too late, my new window in my new top has the stripe across it from the inside. i also cover the outside of the window with a towel before folding the top away so the window doesn't rub on itself or anything else. BMW has a blanket with holders for this but i didn't get one with my car and found out about the whole concept after my first window was all screwed up.