Windows go up then down

Toms789

Hi, this is my first post. I've had a little search around for an answer to my question but couldn't find much.

I have a problem with both my passenger and drivers side window, whenever i try to roll the windows up it'll get to a point and then just go straight back down again.

The only way of getting around this is to stop rolling up just before the point of which it comes back down, and tap the switch until the window passes the problem area. This is really annoying especially as its summer and my windows are down a lot.

I have two E36's and this has happened on both.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

Tom [driving2]

i have a similar problem but mine dont go down all the way they only go back down a few inches.
holding down the window switch seems to most of the time go around the problem. but then wat is the point of automatic windows?

Toms789

hey sm32589q,

Thanks for the reply, although I don't think that the thread is the same problem as mine. as my windows go up then come back down no matter how u push the switch. He is saying his go up an inch when u push the switch.

I have a coupe so it looks like i'll be taking my window mechanism apart if it is anything to do with the magnetic ring mentioned in that link :(

I used to think it had something to do with the rubber sills around the window. As they don't look very flush with the window and on my old car they were folded in places, can anyone rule this out?

Toms789

A new development. It turns out my windows go up fine when i hold the switch down but don't when it goes up automatically.

Also they go up fine when i used the key in the door method.

Thanks

Tom

Saltcat

windows

Don't really have an answer but I would suggest you call the bmw dealer and ask if your model car has motors with resetable memory.They may be in fail-safe mode.That's what they act like in fail-safe.