What to do

SHEP

I have had a 1999 323i convertible for a year or so. It has never had a problem with getting wet inside, until now.

I don't know how it happened, but the back seat and left side rear floorboard and the well under the back seat on both sides was filled with water. The car sat closed up in the hot sun for what was probably several weeks before I knew it. The back seat was covered with mold and mildew, the seat cushion saturated like a like a sponge and now the interior smells incredibly moldy and musty. You can't stand to get in it.

I'm sure all the seats will have to be replaced along with the carpeting, mostly due to the leather absorbing the smell and mold. It looks like my insurance is going to pay for most of it.

Now here's my dilemma. The car has 115,00 miles on it. I had not planned on keeping it much past this summer. Should I replace the interior with leather, go on the cheap with cloth by my local trim shop, or sell the car "as is" getting what I can for it, an pocketing the insurance money.

I don't even know if you have the option of your last choice with your insurance company? Usually you can buy back the car from the insurance company if it is totalled and replace it however you want but how does that work if the replacement cost doesn't total the car? My thought is if it isn't totalled then the insurance company pays to have it returned to pre-accident or pre-damage condition, not your choice to make.
Big Daddy can you enlighten me?