Rust nightmare continues... With pics

This is to show that rust as scary as it is (to me anyway) can be deleted with pleasing results.
Actually this is for people that have less rust than my little e30 does and to make them feel better. I've got my e30 off the road for awhile and ill keep this thread updated as i repair.
So far: motor is out to do the rust on the whole right side of the firewall (yeah cut and weld)
while its out (and off the road) I've decided to tackle the drivers side foot well rust too, its continued up to the pedal box so its helpfull that ive got the motor out for this job too:

Sorry for poor picture quality.
Spare me the "scrap it" this e30 stays I'm also quite interested and determined to get on top of this huge job, you guys remember my sunroof rust removal thread: http://www.bmwboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24428
Peace, all comments welcome

NASTY! damn e30's!!!!... I wonder what my floor looks like (cabrio!) :eek:
You can do it Joseph!! While you're at it, might as well change your clutch master cylinder!

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Daddy

Rust, I hate it and usually won't purchase a car that has rust (ruling out any restoration project), but that said it looks like you are going about it the right way. Keep us posted and yes include the photos.

NASTY! damn e30's!!!!... I wonder what my floor looks like (cabrio!) :eek:
You can do it Joseph!! While you're at it, might as well change your clutch master cylinder!
Mmmmmm, profanity scott! lol
If your cab has had its carpet drenched, the water sits down under there because of the thick sound insulation that layers underneath the carpet and stays wet....

It actually hasn't rained down my way for a couple of weeks and i had a swimming pool happening, gf wanted to dive in!

Any idea on what i should replace the sound insulation with?
I'm not going oem stuff, and I'm going to have to weld a plate for the foot rest.... Its made out of wet insulation [B)]

Cheers guys.

Update:
All of the rust has been cut out of the drivers side foot well and 70% of the rust on the firewall has been cut out too!

Ive outlined the general body rust that has been cut in *black*
The *pink* outline is the hole in the chassis that ive sectioned out and will have a plate cut to fit and welded solid...
The *blue* circle is light surface rust but is going to be chipped, sanded back and will be getting painted/ fish oiled
The *red* is more heat shielding/sound dampener, and has saved most of the floor from rust :)
The *green* is a plug that looks as though it houses a four pin relay, but has/had nothing in it when i striped the carpet back it just hangs in the right hand speaker hole, any ideas what this is for?
I'm measuring plates up already for the floor and hope to have them welded in soon.

My camera is now rooted, after i took this shot i booted it across the backyard and now the lens don't come out.... [V]
Peace.

rxter

You're a better man than I Dough. Thanks for keeping another e30 on the road and off the scrap heap. I'm driving hard for post #10 ;)

Update, Ive been quite busy with work which is why Ive been slow on this thread.

My welds look like crap because Ive had to stitch weld all the seams... Takes some time to weld this way thats for sure!
Firewall progress with original battery holder delete and original clutch fluid reservoir bracket delete (which will be relocated to where the battery used to be):

This is the frame i built to hold the stock thermo fan, basicly a condenser with no cooling fins or pipes!

And this is the wiper motor bracket that was completely rusted away, lucky that BMW put this sucker on rubber mounts preventing actual body damage, new one ordered from bmw dealer today.

Hope you guys are enjoying this thread, I'm really enjoying this job, Its a great learning experience for me!
Peace.

Update lads!
Section around the clutch master cyl and the steering that is sticking out si going to have a separate removable plate bolted in place so i can seal around both more easily, and clutch resivor bracket complete:

Floor pan complete, before foot rest being welded in:

Inside the upper section around pedal box:

The transmission tunnel is now done:

Sealer ill be using:

Welding in the new foot rest:

Foot rest complete, with supports on back:

Well, the welding part is now done, Ive already cleaned most of the welds with an acid type shit as you can see in some of the photo's, next will be more prep and paint.
Peace.

glad you're doing that stuff, not me:) My big fix of the day was finding out that one of my fogs was out on my 5er (after getting a foot of snow)... so logically, I kicked it, and on it came.

glad you're doing that stuff, not me:) My big fix of the day was finding out that one of my fogs was out on my 5er (after getting a foot of snow)... so logically, I kicked it, and on it came.
Nice, yeah make sure you keep that little vert dry!
I've got some parts coming from bmw (a good $500 worth [B)]) and some more update photo's on the way too, have a good one lads.

Really late update FTW!!
Battery in the boot install:

New sound dampening under shift boot:

"Homemade" distribution block made out of 3mm thick aluminum using a AFM rubber mount as the terminal post [:)]
And new relocated clutch fluid resivour. (battery holder plate delete)

Full engine bay shot:

Job has been time consuming, and finishing has been hot work (its summer here in Aussie!!) the fire wall is sealed and is looking ugly, though it doesn't leak anymore and all that matters!
Ask me any questions.
Peace.

Please don't mind the painted front of the dash. let the flaming begin, i do hate it you know!
My mate painted it.

Oh and note the "new" analogue clock Graham sent me from NZ [:)]