Radiator replaced now airlock or meltdown?

The OE radiator finally busted at the upper hose neck last week, result was red light zone overheating and a tow ride home. Installed a new Nissens radiator and added coolant but am not getting the coolant to fill the whole system. The heater does not blow anything near hot and in a couple block test drive the temp gage broadcast red. How to get the system to circulate and then take more fluid?
This has the side overflow tank and I've opened the bleeder screw but it had little effect on the level in the tank. I also have taken the top hose off and poured coolant that direction. In the test drive the upper hose got hotter than the lower hose. Ideas or experiences to cure these ills?

You've got air trapped in the engine block. Find a hill nearby or jack up the front end to raise the bleed valve to the highest point. Turn the heat on with the blower on low. Open the bleed valve and the tank (make sure the engine is cool!!!!), start the engine and add coolant. Rev the engine a few times and add more coolant. You may have to do this several times.

The upper hose will be hotter. Hot water is sent to the top of the radiator, cooled and "pooled" at the bottom for the water pump to suck up.

You should have started with,"make sure you have a fresh sixpack before you put the car on ramps in front of any other vehicles." One cycle down and there is some heat coming out of the ducts and still quite a bit of noise in the radiator after shuttting down.
Off to town for more antifreeze and the forementioned libations. I don't think there will be any worries about driving anywhere else as long as I think this process will take. Maybe a twelve in case a neighbor wanders over...
Thank you much for the answer.

Yesterday I had one good time where the side tank went down almost to the bottom after I shut it off and walked away for a half hour. However there still isn't any real heat coming out of the vents and it bubbles a bit at the bleed valve as go thru the 10 to 15 minute running. If I go longer the hot antifreeze mini volcano erupts from the bleed hole, what kind of activity at the bleeder is productive?

It was meltdown or whater you'd call it when the plastic impeller on the water pump separates from the shaft and breaks into a dozen pieces. Replaced it tonight with aluminum impeller water pump, changed to an aluminum housing for the thermostat, and replaced thermostat. Tomorrow start the slow fill process and bleed but this time the two radiator hoses will be a lot closer in temperature since the fluid will circulate. Just in time for the pre-storage oil change and winter sleep in the garage.