Power Drain (electrical)

I think the entire nation is a little tired of New Orleans anyway....smarten up....
I'm a jerk?
You post millions of threads a day and want everyone to listen to what you have to say and do what you say they should do. I posted a thread with your name in the title and you "don't have the time to look at it...." Furthermore you insult me by asking me to repost it when the thread is 4 lines down...
An elderly person (like yourself) should know that 90% of what is shown on the news is propaganda. The few retards here seem to get all the tv time and give a false representation of what the city is really like.
By the way I am from Italy!
Brian.

FX3

Ok.

I brought the battery to the partsw store I bought it at. He checked it and it had like 3 volts in it. I left it with them for a few hours to see it takes a charge. I went back and it had a tad over 8volts. Brought it home and threw it on the charger. It took a while but threw back the defective battery signal. My charger is set up for a tyre 1 and type2 battery. I than tried type 2 and again took a while but threw back a defective battery signal. Battery now has 7.99 volts. I am going to put it in the car. Jump start the car and see it charges the battery that way as it seems my charger will not work with this battery.
Once I figure out the power drain I'm selling the car. I'm done with it.

Big Daddy

FX have you had the battery fully charged and load tested? I had a brand new battery in my roadster that went dead in two days and after much effort we charged it up and load tested it, it was defective.

FX3

Putting battery in car and using the cars charging system worked.
Let charge for 1/2 hour and got near 12 volts on the battery.

Started testing and found the voltage drain to slow down when pulling fuse #21 (inside light - glove box light - trunk light - handlamp - clock - radio memory - onboard computer).

Also when I pulled #21 the voltage stayed at 11.44 but when I put #21 back in the voltage went UP to 11.46. I am confused now. I am also questioning #18 (Extra Fan 99deg(A/C).

Also, I disconnected the neg side but kept the pos side connected and in about 45 minutes the voltage dropped 0.07 volts.

I'll have to find a shop with a load tester. Where I bought it didn't seem to have a load tester or didn't mention it.

Why are you still testing for voltage instead of current???

You will get a very very slight drain on #21 as the OBC and radio memory draw some, but it should be minute.

You might want to check the trunk light switch though! maybe the trunk light is on all the time?

I had a thought that perhaps you have a relay that is stuck. I did some searching and found this:

GROUP 63 Lights Bulletin Number 63 03 87 (1548) Page 1 of 2 Montvale, NJ January 1988 Technical Dept. SUBJECT: Headlights/Foglights MODELS: E30 - Model Year 1988 (produced prior to 10/87) Complaint: One or all of these symptoms may occur: 1) The headlights may remain "on" when the ignition is turned OFF. 2) Battery discharged (dead) due to relays remaining energized. 3) The fuel gauge needle indicates between 1/8 to 1/4 with ignition and headlights turned OFF. Cause: Improper relays installed (without diodes). Note: The purpose of the diode is to prevent the unintended energizing of the relay.
Repair

Procedure: Only perform repair procedure if the power distribution box is a Version 2 (8 relays). Verify that part number on relay matches the number listed below:
Note: These numbers can be found on either the top or side of the relay.
Parts
Information: If an improper relay is found, replace it with one of the following:

Description Part Number

K3 High Beam 61 31 1 386 557 K4 Low Beam 61 31 1 386 558 K8 Fog Lights 61 31 1 380 013

FX3

Kirby, thank you

So I take it that if the relays are not one of the 3 listed I should replace them with one listed?

I am also going to return the battery for a good one as it discharges with nothing hooked to it.

Kirby, thank you

So I take it that if the relays are not one of the 3 listed I should replace them with one listed?

I am also going to return the battery for a good one as it discharges with nothing hooked to it.
Even If you bougt a brand new battery and you dropped the voltage to 3v, the battery would be unserviceable and would never hold charge properly ever again (like your problem)
Consider this when charging a battery.

FX3

Ok.

Got back to the car and got a lot of headway on it.

Figured out fuse #21 is causing the drain. I pull it and the drain stops.
Fuse #21 is:
Inside Light
Glove Box Light
Trunk Light
Handlamp
Clock
Radio Memory
On-Board Computer

I removed the Radio
Removed the glove box light
Removed the dome light
Removed the trunk light

I did notice the trip computer thing was slightly light with the key out of the ignition. I tore the dash apart and unplugged the trip computer. The drain was lessened but is still there. I did also unplug the main computer and saw no drain change but that was before I unplugged the trip computer.

Any thoughts.

Oh ya. I also disconnected the alternator with no change on the drain.