no spark

i finally got all the parts i was waiting for yesterday and got everything togeather today but my car wont start

it turns over and everything but there isnt any spark on all cylinders (i pulled off each plug wire and attached it to a spare plug that i know is good)

i checked the distributor and i think its good but i am not sure

any other ideas?

plug won't fire if it's not grounded (ie...in the car) did you do anything to/with the spark plug lines like replace them or something like that? also are you getting any spark from the coil? that's easier to check. cliff

UOTE=enzo90;204433]i finally got all the parts i was waiting for yesterday and got everything togeather today but my car wont start

it turns over and everything but there isnt any spark on all cylinders (i pulled off each plug wire and attached it to a spare plug that i know is good)

i checked the distributor and i think its good but i am not sure

any other ideas?[/QUOTE]

so the rotor was preventing the car from starting...interesting...never heard that one before....but....great....cliff

obviously I don't believe that....a rotor kept the car from firing at all? nope, I don't buy it...sorry...but that's just me...cliff

so who is going to dispute me on this one? a poor rotor can keep an engine from firing at all? how, why and when? I think this sounds military like....cliff

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I guess that if the rotor has been worn down enough and the cap is also pitted and worn it can cause no spark or very little spark, not enough to fire the plug.

But I'm not to sure on this.

Big Daddy

I had a Chevy that would not start because the rotor was worn and corroded, replaced it and she fired right up..still needed a tune up for the other items (plugs, etc.) but started all the same!

well i was getting scared because i thought everything on my car was fixed (impossible for an e30) but today i got under it to track down an oil leak and found a small crack in my oil pan

now i wont be bored next weekend [hihi]

well i was getting scared because i thought everything on my car was fixed (impossible for an e30) but today i got under it to track down an oil leak and found a small crack in my oil pan

now i wont be bored next weekend [hihi]

Remove, clean and tig weld the crack and it will never leak again (untill you give it another hit of course [:p])
I'm almost happy to say, "been there, done that!"

Good luck, any worries just ask!

Remove, clean and tig weld the crack and it will never leak again (untill you give it another hit of course [:p])
I too have done that. Cost about $20 for the welding. Gasket goo was almost more than the weld lol.

Sometimes if the crack has "star-craked" at the ends of the crack it can be difficult/impossible to weld, but take it in to a reputable engineering shop and you'll be in good hands.