new ignition switch 318i 1995

richxmen

I'm replacing my ignition cylinder with the key. I know they come with a key code but if I buy one without a key code will the car turn on or do I have to do something extra. My original one was turning and wouldn't turn on. I bought a used one but it had a key code and thus I was forced to used my old key and the new one but my old one was damaged so my car won't start since it doesn't have the original key code, now I want to buy a new onewithout a key code but will it work

The ignition key is embedded with a computer chip and permanently encoded. A primary code is programmed into the key and into the EWS computer. A secondary code is changed every time the vehicle is started. If the key code and EWS control module code do not match, the engine management control module and the starter are disabled. The keys cannot be duplicated, but the dealer can get you a replacement.
If you change the ignition switch it will need to be aligned by a bmw service shop or the dealership.
My wife's car has the turning key problem. The key turns and turns but nothing comes on. What I do when that happens is turn the key back to where I can pull it out and then reinsert the key. When attempting to start the car again I turn the steering wheel at the same time as turning the key. This usually enables the key to lock in and turn everything on as it should.