Moving battery to the trunk.

anyone know of a DIY site for placing the battery from the engine bay to the boot/trunk?
I'm more than capable of doing the job, but some ideas on where to run cables would be nice and support of the battery in the boot/trunk aswell.
Anyone know of a site that you could link me? Anyone done this themselves?
Cheers.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1254&mospid=47308&btnr=61_0481&hg=61&fg=10
You'll need this stuff I guess, and the plastic battery cover.... and You might have a giant piece of metal underneath where the battery would go in the trunk... remove that, carefully. I would run the cable outside the car and just zip tie the thing in there. You'll be upsetting the balance of the car by moving it though won't you? (not much, I know). I've never done this before on my other two E30s... never had to... the cabrio's battery is under the hood though.
It's too bad you don't live around the corner from me, I'd be over there helping you with all this shit all the time:) .... and hanging out with your blondie there!!

6cyl car - balance better with batt in the boot.

Have a look at the factory ones. Battery is located on drivers side (Nz/UK/Aus) in the well behind the rear wheel in the boot below the tailight. They have an earth strap straight to the body there. Positive wire snakes around the wheel well on the boot floor, goes through the firewall (grommet!) and into the channel uner the sill (remove plastic sill covers and pull carpet back and there it is. Goes through the front firewall right by where the battery sits if it is under the bonnet and there is a distro block there for all of your take-offs. Should be a relatively easy job.

Cheers Scotty, Graham.
Yeah my cars an odd one, i think it might have been originaly a 318i which may explain why my battery is in the engine bay.
Could anyone provide me with pictures of the distribution block and/or the place under the carpet, what gauge wiring and should i put any sort of fuse inline with the positive main supply cable.
cheers for links too scott!

Depends on where it was built and the model. All my 320's had it under the bonnet as does my Dad's 323i Baur Cabby. I've seen 325's with it under the bonnet too.

Pull the plastic sill guard off and pull the carpet back - look uner where the sill guard attaches and you'll see a big channel with wires already in it and clips to hold then in place.

Will try and find a pic of the distro block for you. No idea what wire guage - use normal battery cable. Don't think you need a fuse - you don't fuse the regular batt cable - plus iff there is an existing fuse somewhere off the battery it should do the job. A fuse is there to protect the wire (not the electronic equipment like many people think) and that's a pretty big wire.

you definately don't need a fuse for the battery... you might have trouble finding heavy duty battery cable that is long enough at your local parts store, unless they have a spool of it. Otherwise you'll have to go to the dealer.
I can get you a picture of the distribution block from my girlfriend's 325i (you find the channelw without any problems), but she works nights, so I won't be able to get the picture to you for over 24 hours... and I still haven't taken any pics of the cabrio lowered yet... I'm workin on it!!! I'm hoping someone will steal my ugly rims and replace them with ones like Graham's, then take the pics for me.

Power cable wont be a problem, I'll just get it from work :) If my boss ever gets over the major expensive ****up i just had recently....
Cheers lads, and im waiting for this pic of the dist. block, ive had a look at my car and i think its missing it.... i dunno
TA!

I'm waaaay to good to you Joe - first kiwi's with their goodies out
[thumb], Here's an Aussie thats on the same track (for once[:p])

Hmmm, might have to order parts, or ill just make up my own disribution block.
I also had a look for that sort of ditch thing where you run the cable up the drivers side (right side = correct side[:p]) its right there and already has wiring running along it, this should be an interesting project, ill take some photos and note how i went once i get this project going.
Cheers graham!

Dirty buggers:

The steam cleaner I use is essentially a power washer/water blaster iwtha 50/50 kero/petrol burner that heats the water up so it is scalding hot and almost just steam - still alot of water.

Do it with the car off avoiding electrics and then straight after "blow dry" with a compressed air gun spending special attention to around the spark plugs and electrics. Takes about 15mins to wash and 5 mins to dry. Car always starts straight up - never ever had a problem.

Update time!
So I've got my bimmer pulled off the road for another 3 months due to loss of licence because of drink driving (spare me the lectures please)
So being able to take my time I've been on and off fab'in up a plate and bracket, in between slow times at work, to put in my bimmer to level the battery in the trunk/boot (right side well:

gotta make a "custom fabrikationz fuh raze" distribution block to put in the engine bay which I already have idea's for :)

Please comment on any ideas you may have or, what you might do now etc...
Peace.