Majorly modified e30

trent

mrferg said:
Is LowenDesign even a real business? This whole thing leaves my head spinning...
No.. I do not think it is a "real" business. It is a shame these days anybody can buy a name and run a "business" out of a garage, use fake pictures, and with a little bit of knowledge fool everybody. He is a great scammer and will scam your money.

Just for the record nobody wants a flame war. It's just been the job of forum members to look out for each other and nobody wants anyone to get screwed over. I think we had hoped that this was history but seeing him make reference to Dave's car as a project of his makes us fear he is still in his old ways.

As for Dave, has he ditched the M20 yet? I know he was dissapointed buy its output. I know he was only running 3.0l with stock cam and ECU but I think he had hoped for somehting along the lines of 210 at the crank.

5keta

mrferg said:
Is LowenDesign even a real business? This whole thing leaves my head spinning...
No. He is a 20 yr old who resells german ebay parts and other components out of his dad's garage. There is no 'we' in Lowen, unless you count his aliases. He stole the identity of his long time high school friend Kraig Snowden and ruined it, then switched to Adam Hanson, his real name. He always embellishes to make his position seem better, though he is an army of one.

Lowen Design is one guy. The photos on his site that aren't stolen show parts laying in the grass outside hgis dad's home. Most of the info he gives out is taken from other forums or websites, for example that SI reset post of his was just an old BMWe30.net tech article. He sure didn't mention that though, did he?

Too bad he ALWAYS falls into the lies to help sell his products. If he was just honest people would probably leave him alone. Saying Dave Adams is his close personal friend and implying that he works on top notch BMW's though, well thats a good way to shoot yourself in the foot. Someone will notice, and did.

BTW to the moderator of this forum: I tried emailing your contact email with this info, but it was returned. Please update your site contact info.

Ryan,

No, Dave still has the M20 beast under the hood, however he isn't running a stock cam. If i remember correctly, the cam is a 272/272. The ECU is stock...as for the chip...per his web site, it's a JC.

He didn't get the power that everyone (including him) was hoping for, but for the 180-185hp it puts to the wheels he is getting at least 210 at the crank. But judging from the short ride I got in it...the thing pulls like a freight train [thumb] !

At any rate, his Turbo S50 project is in the works at the 'lab' [burnout] ...so we'll see something better to come ;)

Dave92ic

Hey guys,
Thanks for the feedback on my car! It is great to see my car come up in conversations, though I wish it had happened differently this time. I certainly do not mind people linking to my artices or pictures, though I do ask that credit be given where it is due...

I did not purchase the car with the intentions of modifying it, I just started playing around with some small projects and became hopelessly addicted. I even quit my software job to go back to working on cars [:)] I know I could never get the money I invested back out of it (if I were ever to sell it), but that really was not the point. I am just having a great time making what I believe to be the ultimate BMW, and sharing the information that I find.

I did meet with Performance BMW for a photo shoot, which is scheduled for the January 2004 issue. There is a small picture and mention (from Bimmerfest) in the July issue.

Ryan, I have not replaced the m20 yet, though I hope to start work on the engine swap shortly. I am actually very happy with the 3.0L m20 and the performance I am seeing. The last time I dynoed the car I saw 187 rear-wheel HP and 190 lb/fts rear-wheel torque. I am just finding that once a project is cmplete, I get bored and need something new to do. I had a blast building the stroker engine, but within about two months I had purchased an S50 for the next project [:)] One last thing I will probably do is add water injection to the current setup. I am having preignition issues with performance chips, so all my dyno runs have been with the stock chip (what I am currently running). The cam is a Schrick 272/272.

Thanks!
Dave

thanks for the clearup, its been a long time since I have visited his site.

what are the plans for the 3.0l when you do get the S50 in? [:D] That would look really good with an Alpina valve cover.

Hopefully I can find a cheap S52 sometime.

Last edited:

rjp325i

I built my reset tool from a 1988 Roundel magazine article. Incidently a longer section of zip cord, a 35mm film container and a momentary push button switch from Raido Shack improves the design posted especially since it allows you to sit in the car and push the button and watch the reset. I have been using it since 1988, first on my 1985 & now my 1989 using terminals7 and 19.

In Lowen's defense he did, at the bottom of the intake heat shield article, state 'Courtisy (sic) of Dave Adams'. And he was very careful to not to say he was working on Dave's car. He came very close when I asked him about manufacturing the heat shield that Dave built and he said it was a project they were working on meaning the heat shield and not the car. The way he said could have been taken either way. On the other hand there were lots of pictures without credits and intimations that these projects were all done at his workshop.

But I always thought he was a little shakey. I actually found Daves site after he posted Dave's article about the AFM swap so I knew he was posting stuff from other sites. But since his name was Adam and Dave's last name is Adam I wasn't sure they weren't the same person.

I did write him about the AV3 kits he has posted on his website and he said he would match MMS-Tuning's price because they were partner stores and Victor had just written him 20 minutes after I did and said the price had changed. What a coincidence! So he'd match the price but I'd have to pay a 3% PayPal service charge on top of the price match. He was probably ordering from them and having them shipped to the customer and pocketing the difference. Does anyone know Victor or anyone at MMS-Tuning? If they really are affiliated I'm not sure I want to order from them.

Steve

Last edited:
BTW, Dave, beautiful car. I'd like to do some of the same performance mods such as the Extruded Honed intake, AFM swap, the intake filter and heat shield. bigger injectors and install the shorty headers. My question is how do you get your car smogged? Or do you just run it on the track? [burnout]

It seems it would never pass the visual although it may pass the exhaust pipe test.

Any words of advice?

Steve

BMdubenU

325es question

hey guys...im new to the site...and i just had a question...i have a 1987 bmw 325es, and i have a cuz that owns a performance shop here were i live...he has offered me a free RACTIVE exhaust...just the muffler...is it worth putting it on or should i wait to do a full cat...and what type of intake would you recommend?

one more thing you guys have some SICK cars already posted nice work! [:)]

5keta said:

BTW to the moderator of this forum: I tried emailing your contact email with this info, but it was returned. Please update your site contact info.
did you hit the "report to moderators button" located in each and every post? i wonder as we received numerous other alerts from members on diverse topics. normally it is working..[confused]

5keta

I tried the contact info provided to non-members, so as not to crash anyone's party. That failed, so I had to join.

The forum contact button only works for members.

oh, i see. well i hope it was not too bad for you to register [;)]

thanks for doing it anyway! what is your board? i am really thinking of building kind of a shared scam and fraud file or source on information where all the mods of the participating boards can leave their information. that way the boards administrations are better informed and work together.

what do you guys think?

Wadula,

I think that is a great idea! If you can create a web site with that kind of information for everyone to see, I will assuredly post links to it in every forum I'm a member of...5 so far.

Also, I'll even put a link to it from my business site. Ppl need to be informed. Knowledge is wealth...so share it ;) Scammers ruin it for everyone else.

BMdubenU,

First off welcome to the board! [wave] As for the Ractive exhaust...I would seriously avoid it unless you like a ricey sound. Ractive tends to be more of a Honda/imports parts manufaturer. Personally, I wouldn't put Honda parts on a BMW...but make your car how YOU want it. Not everyone else.

As for exhaust options, I'm a dealer for SupserSprint, Remus, and Stromung. I feature their exhausts because they are high-quality, and they have an awesome sound. I'm working on B&B Triflow for their exhausts. To date, theirs is the best sounding that I've heard...but I'm not sure on the dyno results. SuperSprint and Stromung are best if you're looking for a great sound and want a bit more horsepower and a more free-flowing exhaust.

Although, when doing an exhaust...be realistic. Unless you are doing an intake system and/or a chip, you really won't see much more than 10hp...regardless of what the manufacturer says. The proof is in the dyno.

HTH! [burnout]

rjp325i

Custom 3-
I pretty much agree with you. I started out with a Conforti chip and Eibach strut brace and then went to more suspension upgrades, HD Bilsteins, H&R OE Sport springs, Eibach sway bars, offset control arm bushings, ic rear shock mounts etc. I'm not completely sold on K&N and the like if I'm looking for longevity. When speaking with a rep at a SEMA show even he told me that there is a price to pay (ie. no element gives no restrictions and hp gains), so I waiting on that for a while. I don't know if the gain is even noticeable except for sound. I do Know that at temps over about 105 the engine octane requirement is higher than the 91 crap we have here and I mix in 2-3 gal per tank of competition 100 octane. The knock sensor can only retard the spark so far. At 115+ I have no problems now. However I know most area do not get temps that high. However I could buy 94 octane back in NY without having to go to competition 100 gas. In the winter the 91 crap works fine.