In General Conclusion

I reckon what I am always trying to say that if you are not going to wrench yourself and always take these things to 'professionals' they are virtually impossible to afford. This gives BMWs and such a bad rep...no way you can justify owning/maintaining a 20 year old machine of this ilk and have someone else do the work for you, you must be willing and able to do the labor yourself. They are not hard to work on if you have done things yourself in the past, they really aren't; I couldn't fix a Chevy if it hit me in head but any eurocar I can take apart and put back together in a heartbeat. A 20 year old BMW will eat you alive financially if you can't fix it yourself, and want to....peace....Cliff

I agree entirely with you here Cliff. I used to take my first car to a shop all the time... got too expesive, so I bought a $#!+load of tools and a big tool cabinet, and now I'm good to go. I don't really see any 80's model cars on the road any more, other than euro cars, and american cars like Mustangs, Camero's and the like... and I'm sure they do their own work too.

heck, I'm not from NJ - but my brother lived in Jersey City....interesting place...the gang members would steal BMW badges for neckwear....nice place New Jersey...enjoyed my visit there, only place on the planet where you have order your White Castle burger WITHOUT ketchup.....damn things look like used tampons

actually I don't see many 20 year old chevies or fords or dodges anywhere
anymore...hmmmmm...just heard GM posted a $14.5 BILLION loss for the 2nd quarter alone.....Get ready, cause here it comes.....

Is it really any different than any 20 year old regardless of make? I do not see a lot of 80's models Chevy's, Ford's or Dodge's in the shop at the dealer.

Big Daddy

You have an answer to everything don't you. I recently owned a 79 Chev PU, Hmm that is 29 yrs old, there are more old Camaros and Mustangs here in the Seattle area than I have ever seen anywhere else. My brother has a 70 Chevelle, two buddies in Idaho own 68 Camaros, my brother in So Cal. owns a 56 Studebaker PU, I guess everyone in Chicago is driving new cars.

No, of course not... no-one takes 90's model cars to dealers for repairs, do they?
Wait, your referring to "dealers" as genuine repair workshops and privately owned ones too, Or just the genuine workshops ie: ford, audi, GM, BMW etc..??

Because all these cars are more often that not taken to other workshops I know my mates in there shitboxes never take them to a workshop!

Factory shops, with technicians, not mechanics... Private specialty shops are plentiful around here for VW/Audi, Volvo, BMW, Jaguar, etc. and never cost as much as dealerships, and don't do the job properly anyways.