I thought the saab site was lame

send me a picture...no 6 cylinder 3 series has fuel filter in the engine compartment, only some 4 cylinders....thanks...cliff

QUOTE=iliad;203945]And what I am trying to tell you is that my 1985 BMW 325e was sold here in New Orleans (USA) with a fuel filter in the engine compartment. So are you trying to say that my car should get banned from the US and deported to another country?
I'll post a pic as soon as I get a chance.[/QUOTE]

so to end this...

everyone who has a fuel filter in their 3 series 6 cylinder engine compartment, from wherever. raise your hands. Let's get to the bottom of this right now...thanks cliff (I am intrigued now)

Often whilst enjoying a cigarette...

I had a fuel leak in my car the other day - the clamp holding the rubber line to the fuel pressure regulator near the front of the rocker cover was loose and every time I gave the car a good poke of throttle it'd squirt a nice mist of fuel into the engine compartment. i could smell fuel in the cabin, but it seemed to come from the rear. I spent hours trying to find the leak and was certain it wasn't in the engine bay. I drove a total of about 400kms before I happened upon it by chance as I was trying to eliminate all possibilities and was going around checking every line and joint. So the chances for fire were pretty high - hot engine, 400km, raw fuel misting into the engine bay, but nothing happened.

This is not evidence that it is safe, just a chance to tell a yarn.
Exactly, that hose is always going to be a problem, but what can you do? It's in the engine compartment, which last time I checked, is going to be better off catching on fire than anywhere else. If I was going to have a fire, it better be in the engine compartment, where there is a "firewall" and a hood and quarterpanels to keep the fire away from me.

everyone who has a fuel filter in their 3 series 6 cylinder engine compartment, from wherever. raise your hands. Let's get to the bottom of this right now...thanks cliff (I am intrigued now)
Okay, I'm going to say that Cliff is right about some models not having a fuel filter in the engine bay. Good. No problem. I can say for sure that my Mom 1989 325i and my 1991 318i have no fuel filter in the engine compartment. The only 2 people who claimed they had a filter up front have owned and do own 325e's.

I'll save you the research, and show you with Realoem.com. We're going to look at the 1986 North American version of the 2.7L M20; 325e.

The first picture here clearly shows the fuel rail, which I can say 100% is ON the engine, and attaching to it is part #6(The fuel regulator), trace the line back to part #20 (fuel hose #13311722565) Check it out;
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1254&mospid=47308&btnr=13_0233&hg=13&fg=15

Okay, now the second picture we're going to look at here is the fuel filter and line to the regulator. Take a look at part #11 (it's fuel line 13311722565) from the regulator. behind it is the filter (part #1) followed by part #8 which is the soft line coming off the frame rail where it attaches to the hard line under the car, which you can see on the bottom right of the picture. Here ya go.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1254&mospid=47308&btnr=13_0240&hg=13&fg=10

I can't take a picture, because I no longer own either 325e's.

The end, and you're welcome.

Scott