I thought the saab site was lame

i am disappointed with this place....really...come on...you gotta realise this is a world wide site and there are many variants out there....if you kick me off so be it but i hope some of you euros get it.....australia is particularly obnoxious...so kick me off....you aren't helping me anyway...i'm simply trying to help whomever...peace cliff

backing what up with what? what do or should i understand? the only thing i can discern is that bmw sells cars outside of the united states that would never be allowed to be sold here....fuel pumps and filters in engine compartments are absolutely forbidden here...if that's allowed in other markets forgive me....perhaps manual lift windows are also available, i don't know

This is what we were trying to tell you!! You insist on things even though there are people telling you otherwise, and people backing it up. Glad you understand now.

backing what up with what? what do or should i understand? the only thing i can discern is that bmw sells cars outside of the united states that would never be allowed to be sold here....fuel pumps and filters in engine compartments are absolutely forbidden here...if that's allowed in other markets forgive me....perhaps manual lift windows are also available, i don't know
And what I am trying to tell you is that my 1985 BMW 325e was sold here in New Orleans (USA) with a fuel filter in the engine compartment. So are you trying to say that my car should get banned from the US and deported to another country?
I'll post a pic as soon as I get a chance.

[scratch]

Huhhh???? Wrong again... I can give you a bunch of examples of recent cars sold in the US with fuel filters in the engine compartment. Here are SEVERAL examples:

Elantra shop manual

YouTube video clearly showing the fuel filter in the engine bay:

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

And a late model Subaru WRX:

Attachments

Big Daddy

Like the dual fuel pumps, we backed that up with links to auto supply stores listing both, the one in the tank and the other in the wheel well.

Yes BMW sells some cars in some countries that are slightly different. When the first M roadster was introduced (in the USA - 1998 model) it did not have "DSC", the 1.9 and 2.8 Z3's did in 1997, but not the M (1998). Why because BMW lawyers were concerned that if you put DSC on an M the operator would get cocky (thinking the DSC would save him/her in a pinch) so they did not put it on. After some thought they introduced it in the 99 model M roadsters and every model thereafter.

Cliff, there are plenty of other websites that only require you be 13 years old to play, go find one of them and have these conversations.

You STIIIIILLL haven't told us what is wrong with fuel filters in the engine compartment.[?|]

extremely dangerous...any fuel leak could be trouble...not to mention vapor lock, but basically safety...you want as little fuel under the hood as possible at any given moment, especially with pressurized injection systems...not so important with the old mechanical pump carb models.

You STIIIIILLL haven't told us what is wrong with fuel filters in the engine compartment.[?|]

any fuel leak could be trouble, period. The thing is down on the bottom of the firewall, inside the frame rail, on the opposite side of the exhaust and ignition system! ... What is more dangerous; that, or the people sitting in the back seat directly above the fuel tank?

extremely dangerous...any fuel leak could be trouble...not to mention vapor lock, but basically safety...you want as little fuel under the hood as possible at any given moment, especially with pressurized injection systems...not so important with the old mechanical pump carb models.
You know, if I was new and didn't know otherwise I'd actually probably believe that.

Cliff, you make misinformation sound so believable!

so they moved the fuel tank to engine compartment too? I guess I don't know about these other models...sorry
WTF are you talking about? The fuel tank!!! the gas tank!! It's under the back seat!! People sit right above that, you know, when there are more than 2 people in the car!!!! Isn't that dangerous???

WTF are you talking about? The fuel tank!!! the gas tank!! It's under the back seat!! People sit right above that, you know, when there are more than 2 people in the car!!!! Isn't that dangerous???
Often whilst enjoying a cigarette...

I had a fuel leak in my car the other day - the clamp holding the rubber line to the fuel pressure regulator near the front of the rocker cover was loose and every time I gave the car a good poke of throttle it'd squirt a nice mist of fuel into the engine compartment. i could smell fuel in the cabin, but it seemed to come from the rear. I spent hours trying to find the leak and was certain it wasn't in the engine bay. I drove a total of about 400kms before I happened upon it by chance as I was trying to eliminate all possibilities and was going around checking every line and joint. So the chances for fire were pretty high - hot engine, 400km, raw fuel misting into the engine bay, but nothing happened.

This is not evidence that it is safe, just a chance to tell a yarn.

I reckon that would depend upon mass...

UOTE=E30m42cab;204020]WTF are you talking about? The fuel tank!!! the gas tank!! It's under the back seat!! People sit right above that, you know, when there are more than 2 people in the car!!!! Isn't that dangerous???[/QUOTE]