Hello... (sport package ?)

CrestedX5

I am in the market for a 2005 X5 4.4i, I just don't know if I should get the sport package or not??? I am worried that it will be to stiff over the rough roads in CO... however I like some of the other features that are packaged w/ the sport package... could anyone tell me what their opinion is based on personal experience??

Thanks!

PS I am going from and allroad, so it already seems to handle a whole lot better :)

Hey there. We had a 2004 X5 4.4i Sport Pkg and also with the X5 4.8is...the ride quality is amazing. If anyone has visited Los Angeles/Hollywood you will know that we probably have some of the worst public roads in the USA. The potholes and cracks are everywhere (too many cars, not enough $ to fix them).

With the Sport Pkg, and with the 4.8is (which is the ultimate sport pkg :), there is no issue. Comfortable, poised and really amazing.

The only negative thing with the Sport Pkg. being in CO, is that it is not going to be very good on snow or ice (the tires are not suited for that at all).

Good Luck and keep us posted!

My opinion differs significantly from deutsch's, but I want to throw it in as well. In my opinion, the X5 rides hard, regardless of model or Sport Package or not. On the bright side, it offers great handling for a 4,900-pound SUV. Your choice ultimately depends on whether you want more sport or more luxury. If you opt for the Sport Package, you will get a stiffer ride but better handling in the turns, along with bigger and sportier wheels, the sport steering wheel, and the sport seats. If your main focus is comfort, do not go for the Sport Package as the X5 will offer a more comfortable ride while still providing solid handling in turns as a BMW is always a BMW.

deutsch mentioned an important part of the X5 4.4i's Sport Package. If you opt for that, you get 18" all-season tires all around, but you can additionally opt for 19" wheels ($1,000 option AFTER you get Sport Package)....the 19's are summer performance tires which will not do well in cold weather, especially ice and snow.

I do not know what Denver is like, but we visit Vail every year for skiing trips. As I prefer performance over comfort, and knowing that you guys have some nice 75mph smooth highways that run through the mountains (nice curves!), I would opt for the Sport Package and enjoy the drive. [driving2]

deutsch100 said:
Hey there. We had a 2004 X5 4.4i Sport Pkg and also with the X5 4.8is...the ride quality is amazing. If anyone has visited Los Angeles/Hollywood you will know that we probably have some of the worst public roads in the USA. The potholes and cracks are everywhere (too many cars, not enough $ to fix them).

With the Sport Pkg, and with the 4.8is (which is the ultimate sport pkg :), there is no issue. Comfortable, poised and really amazing.

The only negative thing with the Sport Pkg. being in CO, is that it is not going to be very good on snow or ice (the tires are not suited for that at all).

Good Luck and keep us posted!
Certainly if he can afford a 2005 4.4 X5, then he can afford some after market winter rims and tires.............where is the issue?

I know the sport package for the X3 is almost bone jarring in comparison to the non sport version and I still get plenty of sportyness out of it.