Heavy Oxidized paint.. your recc's?

Wilky

Hey gals and fellas,

Have a Heavily oxidized paint job, (red) car was in storage for 2 years and has now gone pink. Tried 2000 sand paper, and medium rc on my PC but still not getting there. any suggestions to get the haze off and down to new paint safely? 1000 grit?

what do you think?

Thanks

epj3

...polish? I definitly wouldn't have jumped right to using a fine sandpaper. Try some 3m rubbing ocmpound followed up by claybar and wax (others might do it different)

Wilky, I do not know how the sand affected the paint (as I am thinking it probably made things worse), but when you have heavily-oxidized paint, you need to do a several-step process. Here is what I would do:

1.) Wash the car.
2.) Apply rubbing compound, such as 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound - Fine Cut.
3.) Apple a glaze, such as 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover.
4.) Apply a really nice and shiny car wax, such as P21S, Zaino, etc.

Note that each product has its own application/use instructions and that it is important to properly use each product, so do not try to cut corners to save time. Also, you can use any rubbing compound and glaze that you want, I just recommended the 3M products because they have a very decent reputation and I have used these products on my own vehicle.

Good luck, and let us know how everything works out!

MrElussive said:
Wilky, I do not know how the sand affected the paint (as I am thinking it probably made things worse), but when you have heavily-oxidized paint, you need to do a several-step process. Here is what I would do:

1.) Wash the car.
2.) Apply rubbing compound, such as 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound - Fine Cut.
3.) Apple a glaze, such as 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover.
4.) Apply a really nice and shiny car wax, such as P21S, Zaino, etc.

Note that each product has its own application/use instructions and that it is important to properly use each product, so do not try to cut corners to save time. Also, you can use any rubbing compound and glaze that you want, I just recommended the 3M products because they have a very decent reputation and I have used these products on my own vehicle.

Good luck, and let us know how everything works out!
MrE gave some great advice. You might want to try these steps on a small section of the car to see if the end result is worth the effort.