flickering oil light

And the little - big thing keep coming.

My e-30 is givving me a weird oil light.

at times it flickers.

Sometimes it seems to flicker in time with the idle.

sometimes when i first start up. sometimes after driving a while.
it doesn't seem to be on and flickering always the same under same conditions.

no oil burning smell. Everything else seems fine.

What do you think... Bad sensor or... oil pump. .. or...

[idea]

Sorry to ask but, is the oil level at the full mark?

Second thing to do is get another oil pressure switch and see if it does the same thing.

If it does continue to flicker, even with the new switch - I expect you have low oil pressure.

Doughnut is right on with his comments.

Also:

- Check the oil itself. If the oil is old (potentially thinned out) or the wrong weight (too light) it can contribute to low pressure, especially if the engine is already worn and contributing to low oil pressure.

- Change the filter, could be causing the problem if it is clogged.

- I think there is a inlet screen on the oil pump. This screen could be clogged (this is an issue with some Audi/VWs due to a design problem). But on a BMW the engine would have a lot of other issues as well if the screen were clogged.

at this point i don't know. The engine was just replaced with a used engine because of a head crack.

As it was kinda a warranty thing.. i did not do the work.. nor was i able test or see anything as before or during the process.

The oil was not changed at the time and i need to get it changed. (but i just got my baby home -real newborn- and time is a bit scarce at the moment).