console error message

000is

hope someone can help...

my '94 325is keeps getting a 'BRAKE CIRCUIT FAILURE' 'SEE MANUAL'
message on the lcd screen.

all brake lights are working properly...and all fuses are intact.

(I think) it usually occurs when I apply the brakes after putting the car into reverse?

TIA!

_S

forgedcbuser at gmail dot com

As I recall, for some reason (German Engineering!!) there are two switch contacts in the brake switch. On set of contacts has failed, this is why the lights still come on but you get a failure message.

well i have had that message intermittently for a long time. the message seemed to be more frequent in wet weather. finally had them replace the switch. after a day, the message returned. today they fiddled with the contacts at the brake lights. message gone again ... so we'll see.

000is

how to tell which switch is broken/needs to be replaced?

just want to get everything straight before i open her up....

thanx for all the help.

000is

well i have had that message intermittently for a long time. the message seemed to be more frequent in wet weather. finally had them replace the switch. after a day, the message returned. today they fiddled with the contacts at the brake lights. message gone again ... so we'll see.
i thought it may have been the carbon deposits on the bulb contacts and scraped them clean as well...hopefully the switch replacement will do the trick for me.

The switch is the most frequent cause of the problem. However, if you do have the less common problem of burned bulb holder contacts, this can also cause the message. When these both exist, it can be a real pain to figure out.

Basically, there is an electronic circuit that senses the current flowing to each of the bulbs. Under normal circumstances, the current to all bulbs is approx. equal and the circuit sees no imbalance.

If a bulb burns out, the circuit senses the imbalance and triggers the alert. The headaches arise when a switch contact or bulb holder gets flaky. You then see intermittent messages because the imbalance comes and goes based on vibration, temperature, humidity and other acts of god.

If you have burned contacts, here are some suggestions to help stabilize things:

- replace the holders. They are under $10 at the dealer. I know from experience on my 94 that cleaning the contacts will be temporary. they get pitted from the burning, and once pitted, will burn again.

- Clean the copper contact surface trace in the tail light assembly where the holder twists in. The burned contact messes up this area as well, causes higher resistance and therefore heat, leading to more burned contacts. In severe cases, it destroys the trace. This is another reason to not reuse a burned holder.

- Using different brands/types of bulbs can cause the imbalance as they can draw different amount of current, such as regular vs. the LL (Long Life) bulbs. Cheap chinese bulbs (i.e. Autozone house brand) out of the same package can actually vary quite a bit due to poor design and quality control.

- Some people believe that the problem is caused by US market bulbs - the belief is that they burn hotter and damage the holder, and the solution is to use BMW factory bulbs from the dealer. I had a burned contact on my 99, so I bought a new holder and ALL new rear bulbs, and have had no problems since. It probably cost me an extra $10, but no recurring problems.

000is

The switch is the most frequent cause of the problem. However, if you do have the less common problem of burned bulb holder contacts, this can also cause the message. When these both exist, it can be a real pain to figure out.

Basically, there is an electronic circuit that senses the current flowing to each of the bulbs. Under normal circumstances, the current to all bulbs is approx. equal and the circuit sees no imbalance.

If a bulb burns out, the circuit senses the imbalance and triggers the alert. The headaches arise when a switch contact or bulb holder gets flaky. You then see intermittent messages because the imbalance comes and goes based on vibration, temperature, humidity and other acts of god.

If you have burned contacts, here are some suggestions to help stabilize things:

- replace the holders. They are under $10 at the dealer. I know from experience on my 94 that cleaning the contacts will be temporary. they get pitted from the burning, and once pitted, will burn again.

- Clean the copper contact surface trace in the tail light assembly where the holder twists in. The burned contact messes up this area as well, causes higher resistance and therefore heat, leading to more burned contacts. In severe cases, it destroys the trace. This is another reason to not reuse a burned holder.

- Using different brands/types of bulbs can cause the imbalance as they can draw different amount of current, such as regular vs. the LL (Long Life) bulbs. Cheap chinese bulbs (i.e. Autozone house brand) out of the same package can actually vary quite a bit due to poor design and quality control.

- Some people believe that the problem is caused by US market bulbs - the belief is that they burn hotter and damage the holder, and the solution is to use BMW factory bulbs from the dealer. I had a burned contact on my 99, so I bought a new holder and ALL new rear bulbs, and have had no problems since. It probably cost me an extra $10, but no recurring problems.

K,

thanx for the insight...
i'll also try checking all bulbs are also the same and factory...i think right now i'm using philips bulbs which seem to be alot brighter than my older bulbs.

Get access to you lights and make sure there is no corrosion on the bulbs or in the sockets. Also be sure you have BMW bulbs. The cheapo's you get from the auto parts store don't fit exactly right.