318i vrs 325i purchase

all I know is that have beaten the living crap out my 1988 32iC and have also maintained it to a 'T' (whatever that means), bought it with 70K and now has 165K on it...driven it all over the US..6 years in New Mexico...taken it from Denver to Las Vegas to Los Angeles to Roswell to Chicago to Milwaukee to New York ad nasuem.. kept up with maintenance and it still runs like a top....I intend to keep this thing forever....it will not quit...and never (and I mean ever) leaks a drop of oil....almost unworldly...cliff

This job was on a my Mom's 1989 E30... when we bought it a few months ago, it still had the original tires on it (75,000kms!!)... for all I know, it has the original oil in it, and probably the original timing belt. It had a bit of an overheating problem, so I replaced the thermostat and it still was getting a bit too warm, and the fan clutch had little to no resistance when it was warm. I sent it in to my (BMW only) mechanic to have them give it a good over all checkup. I asked them to replace all belt and hoses (they couldn't get the middle coolant hose in (back/order) , fan clutch, waterpump, belts... basically what a person buying an old BMW should replace, or have replaced when buying one. You never know when the previous owner changed anything, so for "icebrick", that would give him a good idea of what initial cost would be to have the work done for them.

So lets break this down, if you don't replace most of those things when you get the car, you're looking for trouble down the road. At least when you do that sort of work (granted, fan clutch is not an issue), you now have a starting point so you know what intervals you should be looking at for doing the job again in a few years. It's just a good idea, that's all.

Plus, he lives in Sudbury, which you wouldn't want to be caught in winter with a bad belt/hose, so you might as well do this sort of job now, while you have the chance to do it without freezing your hands and face off.

Pictures of my mom's 1989 E30 325i when we bought it with 75,000kms on it. It is dirty too, but you can't hide that the car is 20 years old. Working on them and cleaning them up is half the fun of owning them.

Pics of my 1991 E30 318i with 262,000kms on it. It didn't come that way. You gotta work on your E30, simple as that. The engine will rarely if ever let you down.

And just to really get you whining, Joseph, here's a pic of my old 1992 Jetta riding on 195/55R15 snow tires on ASA rims and HD springs and shocks (its the black one on the left with the ski rack). I'm standing in the door of the cottage flippin' the bird!

OK, my $0.02c

DO NOT BUY AN AUTOMATIC.

They are horrible gearboxes in the e30's, and not at all strong. I have had 4 automatic e30's Two have had to have new auto boxes. 1 had the auto die and I put a manual in it. The fourth sacrificed its auto box for one of the other ones and also got a manual.

They are weak, and they sap power. If you must get an auto, then the 318 must be off your list as it can not handle a slushbox.

However, if we are talking manual trans cars, then I'm on the fence. I love the torque of the 325i, and they do have significantly more power/get up and go, but the extra weight over the nose is noticeable. The 318 has chuckability and alot of guys are going for these now as they are a hoot to drive at the limit, and feel faster than they are, and handle better than the 325i. Both cars also suit power modification. A good friend of mine has a 318is (m42) turbo with 26psi boost running 340-odd HP at the wheels! He was at the track the other day and made a new Ferrari 575 owner's face look like a dropped pie.

That said there are some bloody quick 325is out there and I personally have a 325i, and that is my preference over the 318. I'm just trying to offer you a balanced review. Whatever decision you make, if its a well looked after manual car, you'll be happy.