318i vrs 325i purchase

icebrick

I’m a Volvo guy who has recently rediscovered the joy of tossing around a smaller more nimble car. My 91 Jetta is a hoot to drive but somehow I feel like I’m in the big white lunch box.
There are a 1989 325i and a 1991 318i for sale locally that interest me. I have no experience with BMWs.
Any input regarding durability, driving experience, value, whatever, would help.

Thanks

I think I know the 318i you're looking at... I've been thinking of going to take a look at it myself. http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=1171696&adid=7104754

I have become a fan of the 318i, having owned a couple 325e's and still have a 325i. (Even owned a 1992 VW jetta for a year... hated it) It depends what you want. If you want decent mileage, the 318i (DOHC 16v)will be decent on gas, unless you like to drive the snot out it. The engine is low maintanence as it has a timing chain (not a belt) and self adjusting valve caps. It has great thottle response, and will pass on the highway without any problem. You'll notice that there isn't a who bunch of useless, unrecognizable wires, hoses and tubes all over the place like your jetta. Everything makes perfect sense with the 318i... and they're all manual trannies from 1989 to 1992. Durability... should go forever, really. There's your usual maintanence stuff (fluid, belts, bushings) but all cars need that.

325i's have very long lasting engines... but with a timing belt ($800 every time you change it, and your waterpump), and it'll need a valve job every once in a while to keep it running properly. It pulls great on the highway, lauches pretty good. 30 more BHP that the 318i, but the 318i demands to be driven, whereas the 325i will pull you along for the ride. It will obviously be faster than the 318i, but I really like the 318i.

You can't really go wrong with either one. Depends what you want? If you want a 400 series highway monster, the 325i is great... if you want a City go-cart, the 318i is great. Where do you live in Ontario?

$800 for a timing belt?

I just did mine for $60 and that included a new tensioner....$800...wow...i'd like to meet your mechanic on that one. the belt is like $20 and the pulley is the same...that's $40...toss in another $40 for miscellaneous stuff and your up to $80....i guess the other $720 is for labor and comfort....

and the water pump (and it is good to do it as long as you're in there is another $50....that brings up to a cozy $150 tops out the door...where is the other $650 going other then somebodies kids college tuition.
I just did mine for $60 and that included a new tensioner....$800...wow...i'd like to meet your mechanic on that one. the belt is like $20 and the pulley is the same...that's $40...toss in another $40 for miscellaneous stuff and your up to $80....i guess the other $720 is for labor and comfort....

The parts are cheap, but it is labour extensive. If youve done it yourself more than once, you can get it done in under 1.5 hours, but a shop will charge anywhere between 3-4 hours for the job. $800 sounds about right. I paid $550 for the focus which included new w.pump and belt, on my old accord, it cost me close to $800. Both times, I did not have the time to do the job or else I would have done it.

icebrick

I think I know the 318i you're looking at...?
That's the one. Looks decent for the $.

Depends what you want? If you want a 400 series highway monster, the 325i is great... if you want a City go-cart, the 318i is great. Where do you live in Ontario?
I got this Jetta to combat the recent gas crunch.
The 318i would suit my city needs best, but an auto would be better around town, ( that's the opinion of the other partner on our family board of Directors).
While I don't need another highway cruiser, (our S70 is a great long distance car), the extra torque of a 325 would bring a lot of smiles.
I live in Sudbury ON, the city with the absolutely roughest streets in Canada, so please tell me that these cars will handle it nicely!

Sorry it came to $632.80 for a timing belt & tensioner ($50), water pump ($80), fan clutch($110), 3 belts ($30), 2 hoses ($35), coolant($15) and labour (3 hours @$80) plus tax.

I don't know about rough roads... mine doesn't like them... Rear shock mounts are prone to failure, but are cheap and super fast and super easy to replace. The 325i will not be good on gas if that's what you want out of your jetta. The 318i will be perfect, but if you want auto, then a 325i is the way to go. Why don't you want your Jetta any more?

If I drive to Sudbury right now, can I buy wild blueberries on the side of HWY 69?

the fan clutch is a point of expense however I don't replace it as a matter of course...fairly simple to verify correctness, just spin the fan with the engine cold and then warm the engine up and shut it down and spin the fan again...should be harder to spin...that's the fan clutch

Sorry it came to $632.80 for a timing belt & tensioner ($50), water pump ($80), fan clutch($110), 3 belts ($30), 2 hoses ($35), coolant($15) and labour (3 hours @$80) plus tax.

so let's break this down...if you remove the water pump, fan clutch, 3 belts, 2 hoses and labor from the bill you end up with $65 right? new belts and hoses and water pump are generally not required...a good idea, but not required ...just the timing belt and tensioner (even that is not required) and coolant....like I said...it's like $75 or something....why $800 or even $200

icebrick

I don't know about rough roads... mine doesn't like them... Rear shock mounts are prone to failure, but are cheap and super fast and super easy to replace. The 325i will not be good on gas if that's what you want out of your jetta. The 318i will be perfect, but if you want auto, then a 325i is the way to go. Why don't you want your Jetta any more?

If I drive to Sudbury right now, can I buy wild blueberries on the side of HWY 69?
Replacing mount wouldn't be a problem, it' ride quality I'm looking for.
...the Jetta just feels too barebones after driving an S70.

Yes the blueberries are out, but you could just stop and pick a quart yourself

This job was on a my Mom's 1989 E30... when we bought it a few months ago, it still had the original tires on it (75,000kms!!)... for all I know, it has the original oil in it, and probably the original timing belt. It had a bit of an overheating problem, so I replaced the thermostat and it still was getting a bit too warm, and the fan clutch had little to no resistance when it was warm. I sent it in to my (BMW only) mechanic to have them give it a good over all checkup. I asked them to replace all belt and hoses (they couldn't get the middle coolant hose in (back/order) , fan clutch, waterpump, belts... basically what a person buying an old BMW should replace, or have replaced when buying one. You never know when the previous owner changed anything, so for "icebrick", that would give him a good idea of what initial cost would be to have the work done for them.

So lets break this down, if you don't replace most of those things when you get the car, you're looking for trouble down the road. At least when you do that sort of work (granted, fan clutch is not an issue), you now have a starting point so you know what intervals you should be looking at for doing the job again in a few years. It's just a good idea, that's all.

Plus, he lives in Sudbury, which you wouldn't want to be caught in winter with a bad belt/hose, so you might as well do this sort of job now, while you have the chance to do it without freezing your hands and face off.

Replacing mount wouldn't be a problem, it' ride quality I'm looking for.
...the Jetta just feels too barebones after driving an S70.

Yes the blueberries are out, but you could just stop and pick a quart yourself
I wouldn't say its a bad ride at all... it'll be 10x better than your Jetta, that's for sure.

So are you going to come check that 318i out, or are you leaning towards the 325? (got a link for it?)

icebrick

I wouldn't say its a bad ride at all... it'll be 10x better than your Jetta, that's for sure.

So are you going to come check that 318i out, or are you leaning towards the 325? (got a link for it?)
My son lives in Ottawa, I had him check it out. Here's the link.

http://ottawa.en.craigslist.ca/car/728747606.html

Here's a shot of the engine compartment. Somehow just not 58K mint enough for me. The owner can't provide any history on the car, so... I'll pass.

I'm not in a hurry, I plan to be in TO in a few weeks, I'll see what might be available then. Check out that 318i if you're looking for one.

It's very easy to turn a odometer back on these cars, not to say it doesn't have 58,000kms. I think you'd be very pleased with the 318i.
Bring me a pint of blueberries, and I'd be glad to go look at it with you if it's still for sale.[thumb]