318 to 325 engine swap

Wondering if anyone has come across any info online regarding insertion of 2.5L into a 1.8L car? I have just secured a donor car and would like to upgrade my daily driver/Time Trial car with the bigger motor. Should be a relatively easy swap, but want advise from someone who's been there...Any help would be appreciated.

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
There is a lot more than just putting a new engine in. motronic swap, wiring, tranny, possibly stiffer springs and shocks in the front to add for weight. Ask Lowen thy E30 guru, or look for something called project Orca (zionsville motorsports), and go to a better engine.

Swap is not difficult in the getting it to fit part, but is in the hooking everything up part.

You'll need these major parts;

2.5L engine
tranny
325 shifter setup
radiator off 325
325 radiator support
dme
wiring harness
325 gauge cluster
325 fusebox
325 driveshaft
325 diff. (your 318 diff. won't hold up)
325 center support bearing
(probally some others that have slipped my mind)

Also having the extra weight upfront I'd sudject upgrading from the 45mm strut housing to the 51mm strut housing. Your also going to have to do something with the fuel supply aswell.

It's very possiable of a swap, just very time consuming when it comes to changing over the wiring. It does make one heck of a car as the 318 is so much lighter...

1.8L to 2.5L

Thank you, guys for your replies. I had counted on most of those items (wiring harness, radiator, computer, etc.) and I have already upgraded the car (springs, shocks, etc.) to the point where that should be adequately addressed. I'll let you know how it comes out. I do have 2 very experienced people on my end to assist me, so I feel good about proceeding. Again, thanks for the input, and if anything else comes to mind, please let me know.

Lowen said:
Swap is not difficult in the getting it to fit part, but is in the hooking everything up part.

You'll need these major parts;

2.5L engine
tranny
325 shifter setup
radiator off 325
325 radiator support
dme
wiring harness
325 gauge cluster
325 fusebox
325 driveshaft
325 diff. (your 318 diff. won't hold up)
325 center support bearing
(probally some others that have slipped my mind)

Also having the extra weight upfront I'd sudject upgrading from the 45mm strut housing to the 51mm strut housing. Your also going to have to do something with the fuel supply aswell.

It's very possiable of a swap, just very time consuming when it comes to changing over the wiring. It does make one heck of a car as the 318 is so much lighter...
haven't you just lost your weight savings after you swap in all of the heavier 6-cyl. items?

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
My friend dropped an S50B30 euro M3 enigine in his E30 M3 and after dropping weight from other places (lightweight aluminum alloy oilpan, aluminum control arms, carbon fiber hood, lightweight swaybars, and gutting the cruise control and AC) he was actually only thirty pounds heavier in the front. Personally I would get a 325 and put a euro M3 engine in it rather than go through the time and trouble of tuning out the entire car to make it handle weel enough to put on a track. IMO