Was offered an 86 BMW 325 for my Saab today, what's your opinions?...

Jedz123

Hello Fellas
I'm new to the forum and not yet owned a BMW. Today I was offered a direct trade for my 96 Saab 900 SE turbo for a 86 325 with a 2.7 I-6 w/ manual tranny. The Saab is obviously a 96 with 207K miles w/ some minor modifications to get my 0-60 time in the 5 second range. It runs good and gets me from point a to point b with no major problems. I have just been getting bored with it recently though and placed an add on Craigslist for even trade... Here's the link.
Well I received a response from a young kid (18) saying he would trade his Red 86 BMW 325 4 door sedan for my Saab. Well I looked at it today in person and this is what I found out.

These are the issues I have with the car...
The Car has 244K miles, It has an idling problem it will rev up then drop down, The Tachometer, Temperature and fuel economy gauges don't work, may need ball joints, shimmy at 50 then goes away (tire imbalance I'm guessing), there's a fart cannon where a muffler should be, dash has a huge crack on the passenger side. Shifter is lose (feels like new bushings are needed) and some of the windows don't roll down.

The things I like...No love about it.
Rear wheel drive, Low end power, Snappy as all hell, The I-6, it's N/A no spooling Yay!, Gets 32mpg, Overall Size, Comfort, Awesome cruiser, It's a little tank!... the list goes on.

My Q Is would it be a good idea to trade with the guy? I've never owned a BMW and until today never drove a BMW. I'm unsure of their build quality and longevity. The kid told me that the car has allot more life in it but it is 22 years old with 244k on the clock... kinda weary if he's right or not however my Saab is getting right up there as well. The thing is an awesome little car and would be a fun DD. I just need to know if it would be a good idea to trade. I'm obviously not looking into speed just overall reliability and fun!

Thanks Guys maybe I'll be a member of your family soon...
-Jedz

That 325e was a good car in it's day but it's pretty old and worn. If you're in Vermont it's probably got plenty of rust and you'll want a set of snow tires for the coming winter. BMWs and Saabs are both well-built but the Saab is 10 years younger and since it's yours, you know it's history. Who knows what an 18 year old did with that Bimmer? I used to frive an 83 Saab 900 and went to a dealer to test drive a 96 turbo. I drive a 96 328i back right after it and I was hooked on the Bimmer. That was 9 years ago...

They're fantastic cars, but there's no way I'd swap. You wouldn't be getting the better deal.

If you want a 3-series, sell the saab, and buy a nice manual 325i (2.5L motor, but significantly more power than the lazy 2.7's in the 325e).

Then pocket the change.