Road Rally

rlegrant

I have been looking for a group that hosts road rallys in New England. I see the Boston BMW Club hosts 4 Auto Cross events during the year, but what I really wanted to participate in was a point-to-point course based on some skill and time rather than speed.

Do such things exist? The Auto Cross seems more like it would appeal to the "M" crowd, rather than old-farts in a Z4. But having never participated, I could be wrong.

Some ideas or even links would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Big Daddy

Auto Cross is fun and really appeals to lots of folks, but it is very very hard on your car. The BMW CCA Chapter I belonged to prior to moving to Washington held Auto Cross, Track and Rally events. If your chapter is not hosting any rallies check the calendar of events in the Roundel.

rlegrant

Just checked with the Boston club http://www.boston-bmwcca.org and there is a rally in Rhode Island in late October. I want to try that one. But as I've never been in one, how might I go about putting one together?? Is there that one definitive link or book that says "first do this" and "then do that" and you have a Road Rally?

Or maybe I'll try the one in October and see how it goes and try to put one together here in Central MA. They sound like lots of fun.

Thanks for your replies. Where do you recommend I go for more info? I'm REALLY a novice.

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
Well i've been on the memorial run. the organisation was taken care of. But my advice is, if its a one day event then its just find a start find a finish and then get some entrants. if it involves a hotel stay or dinner at the end then get the money up front from all entrants for meals/hotel rooms to avoid any disapointment (and then if people don't turn up they have to get a refund from the hotel/restaurant (we found this out the hard way [mad] ) other than that its just a good laugh oh and don't do a one day race of more than 1200kms ours was 1600 and the last 400 was painful (just wanted to sleep [:D] )

as far as competing in these rallies. if its a day of driving 800+ kms then you'll find out the stops for gas and maintainance (and bug spray [:D] ) are actually more fun than the driving swaping stories kills etc. So don't think of it as a race (which of course its not [:p] ) just a bunch of car nuts cruiseing at high speed on public roads. Oh and stickers you gotta get stickers on the cars. It doesn't just advertise the event and websites but can be a bit of a get out of jail free card. (but not promised) it the trooper likes cars then he could let you off with a warning (or writing a ticket for a lower speed) if he thinks there is a big bunch of you.

in short [:)] enter don't push yourself too hard and just sit back and enjoy it.

***WARNING*** if you do enter then be forwarned you WILL want to do it again you WILL want to tune your car more and you WILL (eventually) get pulled for speeding. but i can honestly say it is the most fun you will have in your car. (including with your pants off!!)

git666die

rallys are fun but the end result when you come to clean the car is not fun at the end of the run it took me 6 time to clean all the bugs off my dads black e34 m5 after a run and the weels left home silver and when we got back the were black with brake dust