Noises and Rattles in the car...

For a few months now i have been getting wierd noises from the back of the car and near the idrive area. Everytime i hit a bump i hear this squeeky noise coming from the strut or spring in the rear. also there is something loose in the rear, right of the car, like its moving in an enclosed area ( like inside the chassy). is this normal because it is such a hard suspension that everything eventually loosens up?

I tried to take it to the dealer but they did absolutely nothing. they couldnt find any "noises" coming from the car. Is anyone else getting this? Please let me know.

Check and see if the rear seat is completley and securely fastened down. The entire rear seat comes out (there is wiring and stuff underneath). My car and a few others on an E90 Board had this problem. The seat was not snapped into place.

In regards to the dash/I-Drive rattle.....A LOT of E90s have this. Try tightening the 2 screws under the I-Drive dash (hood cover). This has helped some people.

Good Luck! :)

Yes i have been getting rattling noises that appear to be coming from the radio and dash in general. It must be the plastics they have used. I have taken it to my dealer but all they could do was use felt tape to try and stop the noises from the vents and top speaker. I have heard of other people with this problem. But all the dealers do is give you the line they cannot hear any "abnormal noises". I bet it will be declared a defect soon, if not we just have to keep complaining until the problem is solved. Afterall these are BMW"s not 25 year old jetta's to be making these kind of noises.
Peace!

I also have a buddy with an E90, and when hitting a bump, we identified a small annoying tapping coming from under the soft padding right above the battery, right next to the brake light. [paranoid]

4DSC said:
I also have a buddy with an E90, and when hitting a bump, we identified a small annoying tapping coming from under the soft padding right above the battery, right next to the brake light. [paranoid]
All this doesn't sound too good. When I test drove a 330 w/Sport a few weeks ago, I thought the overall quality of the dash plastics and doors was pretty good, though slightly less refined (if that's the right word) than my current E46. The buttons and knobs don't feel as substanial (especially the ones on the climate control and lower dash button like the DSC, seat heater, sunscreen, etc.), either, which is kind of disappointing. Funny thing, though, I think the interior quality is actually better than new 5 series!

Anyway, I didn't really notice any rattles or creaks (my biggest pet peeve in cars) which I listened very closely for. Then again, the car had barely over 500 miles on it. How many miles do your cars have, or in your case 4DSC, your buddy's car? Stuff like this will definitely influence my decision to buy. My current 323 has over 80K miles on it and it still pretty well screwed together - only the biggest bumps/potholes manage to bring a small creak from the dash and sometimes the driver side door, which is a huge accomplishment because Chicago roads, in general, are pretty horrible, especially after winter. In my experience, Toyota/Lexus are the best at remaining rattle-free over a long time, and my buddy has a stock '03 S55 (which is crazy fast, by the way) that's also managed to remain damn near perfect despite a pretty stiff suspension and some not-so-ideal driving conditions that its been subjected to. But I hear that bigger Merc's, including the ML, are pretty solid in this area (electronics are another matter).

Yeah well thats just the thing.. The car felt solid as a rock(not that it isn't anymore, but you know) when he first got it, but little minor creaks and rattles started popping up here and there that the dealer seems to purposly ignore. He has about 9k give or take, which is why I believe you havn't heard anything from your 500 mile test mules.

M-Mazing

I have a simiar problem with a 2007 M5. I had some luck using the glycerine lubricants on the leather but I think it is in the door latches. I had the pillar panels removed between both doors and found nothing there that would rattle.

My latest trick was to increase the tire pressure from 35 to 40 lbs in the rear tires. This seemed to change the excitation frequency of the rattle and it occurs less often. The last thing I did (at the same time I did the latches )was to loosen the door latches on the door sides and open and shut the doors to self center the latches. Then tighten things back up. I still get a return on occasion especially when the car has been in sun all day. Hope this helps.