Noise / vibration???

Gents,

Need some experience / sage advice from the collective. The red rooster has started making a louder running noise than normal. It occurs when under normal throttle input from about 20 MPH to highway speeds ..say 75 mph. Its not a transmission sound, its the same noise in all 5 speeds/gears.

It reminds me of a drive shaft u-joint going bad in my old 72 SS Nova. I'm thinking it could be CV joints. The car now has about 118K and I know the CV joints have never been replaced. There also seems to be more vibration in the cars ride. Its just not as quite and smooth as it was 40 K miles ago?

Any thoughts?

Zdaneman sends[bmwdance]

Guibo or driveshaft centre bearing? What kind of noise? Squeel? Hummm? Whirr? Grinding?
+1 This stuff will cause vibration in the cab.

Alternativly, wheel bearing failure? Check your C/V shaft rubber dust boots, if they are not torn or damaged and there is no grease coming out of them I'd say they'd be fine 118K is a fairly new e30.

Is it louder cornering in one direction than the other? If so I would be with Doughnut pointing to wheel bearing - both of mine did this when they started to go.
Would you beleive that I just did a front wheel bearing on my cabrio, and when I pulled the hub off, the inner race of the bearing came off with it?!!!!!! I almost shat myself!! I was really looking forward to using my new Snap-on Blue Point puller that I spent $100 on for bearing jobs, and the bloody thing came out all in one piece!!! That's never happened to me before on the previous 4 front bearings I've done.[wiggle]

Well....

[confused] Its sounds like it comming from the middle of the car, and not really wheel bearings. Same sound no mater what attitude the car is in turning or straight ahead moving down the road.

Nothing is leaking around the CV boots.

I call it more like loud but soft grindng that gets loud and even outs at speed?

Thanks,

Zdaneman

[confused] Its sounds like it comming from the middle of the car, and not really wheel bearings. Same sound no mater what attitude the car is in turning or straight ahead moving down the road.

Nothing is leaking around the CV boots.

I call it more like loud but soft grinding that gets loud and even outs at speed?

Thanks,

Zdaneman
It is just so hard to determine what the problem could be over the internet.

Your problem could simply be gear box whine with a unbalanced front wheel causing the vibrations.... Get what I mean.

But from what you are telling us this sounds driveshaft related.