Need to replace rotors WITH brake pads together?

Dathaeus

I was in for an alignment jobbie at Firestone and i also needed new brake pads... however the guy there told me that my car and some or most BMW's u gotta change the rotors with the pads, that u dont just change pads only... it cost me $360 for both front wheels, and that was with a "$50 discount"..... so to me $180 per wheel for brake pads and rotors donr sound too bad.. but I'm no expert. They said the pads were just about totally done.

The answer is - it depends. It is NOT mandatory to replace the rotors every time the pads are replaced, that is crap. BMW, like every other car manufacturer, has a specification for the MINIMUM thickness of the rotor. If the rotor is not worn/close to this thickness, and the rotor is in good shape (not scored, warped, etc.), the rotor does not need to be replaced.

I do these jobs myself. A rotor will cost $30 - $60+ each, depending on brand and quality, pads will cost $30 - $75 a pair depending on brand and quality. So I might spend $125 for parts (discount web order). Most service shops will sell the parts at list price, maybe $200, and 3 or 4 hours of labor at $50 - $75 depending on your area. So, I think you didn't get ripped off for what you got, but it was no bargain either.