e30 pop quiz

I spent about 5mins making this quick quiz for the other thread.

Lets see how you do. (If you definately KNOW the answers keep them to yourself so others get a chance.)

1) Which e30 came out with a modified version of BMW's 'big six' m30?
2) What is the correct spec for tensioning the cambelt on an m20 motor?
3) On what model e30 would you find aluminium alloy body panels OTHER than the m3?
4) I have just bought a set of 17 inch wheels and want to run 225 width tyres. What is the correct tyre size for my e30 with this configuration?
5) Where is the built-in beer-bottle opener on an e30?

Lets see how you score.

okay, well, Cliff isn't looking...

1) South Africa I believe had the M30 with the 3.3, or 3.5, but as far as I know, Alpina also put that engine (with their own tweakes) into the E30, including the M3).

2) I don't know, it's in the manual...

3) Z1

4)not too sure.... 225/35/17's?

5)I thought it was the seat belt clip, but upon further review, it's not.

okay, well, Cliff isn't looking...

1) South Africa I believe had the M30 with the 3.3, or 3.5, but as far as I know, Alpina also put that engine (with their own tweakes) into the E30, including the M3).

3) Z1

5)I thought it was the seat belt clip, but upon further review, it's not.
Well done Scotty, you just ruined the whole noob pwning!

OK - answers are

1: 325E

2: 16

3: 325iS Evoll

4: variable...check with Tire Rack

5: variable...restate the question

QUOTE=E30m42cab;204008]okay, well, Cliff isn't looking...

3) Z1

5)I thought it was the seat belt clip, but upon further review, it's not.[/QUOTE]

OK I've marked your answers.

Cliff scores a 1. Scotty 2. Lame.

Answers:

1) I don't know where you got 325E from cliff. it has the m20, not the m30. Scotty is on the money here. There were at least three correct answers. The south African 333i had a 3.2L version of the m30 as no m3's were produced for SA and they wanted a performance version. I'd say they got it with a 3.2L m30. The other two were the Alpina B6 cars which came with 2.8L and 3.5L versions of the m30.

2) Trick question which I'm surprised scotty got wrong. The tension is preset by the tensioner. you don't adjust it - it is a fixed tension created by the spring which is preset from factory. A good reason to change the tensioner whenever you change the belt. I'd have thought someone with as much experience with e30's would know this, cliff?

3) I hope you spent along time finding that answer cliff as you are one of the first North American BMW owners I know that knows this. Your answer was absolutely correct. Another South African car, the 325is evo has a tuned 2.7L m20 (not the eta motor) and aluminium door panels and guards.

4) Variable, yes, but only to two or three possible sizes as anyone who has spent time fitting non-factory wheels knows that the new tyre should be within 5% of the original tyre diameter. This means the "Correct" size is a 225/40/17, and scotty's guess of 225/35/17 would also be OK, except I think you'll find that the 225/40/17 is a more commonly available size. The key to answering this question was a knowledge of how tyre sizes work, and simply knowing the factory tyre size for an e30. Really simple stuff actually.

5) The tricky one. I should really take a photo of this, but open any door and look at the door catch on the car body. Looks alot like a bottle opener you'd find screwed to a bar doesn't it? Works the same way. i don't know if this is common knowledge worldwide, but us kiwis certainly know about it. you use it as in the picture below. To open the bottle simply push it away from you at the bottom. I'm sure once you try it you'll figure it out.

I have one screwed under my kitchen counter, on my garage wall, and on the side of my beer fridge. BMW bottle openers all round!

Okay, well, I gave two correct answers for the M30, which has gotta count for something :)
The tensioner question, I wasn't sure what you were asking... I figured you could measure deflection between the cam gear and the drive gear opposite of the tensioner to tell if it the belt is stretched. Oh well. M20 is a peice of crap *said with a grumbly voice* J/K
The evo II is plain as day in Wikipedia. I thought it was the Z1. What can I say.
The bottle opener question works... I looked at it a couple days ago, and I was like "naw, that's too small to get a grip on the cap"... but it works. Cool.