Check Coolant Level Wanring

ikk100

Hi all,

Hope someone can help with this. I am getting the Check Coolant Level Warning whenever I start my engine- this has been happening for around 2 weeks. The needle on the dashboard has remained in the middle.

I am trying to top up my coolant and everything says that the the foating red stick should be level with the top of the coolant bottle- thats fine. But what I don't understand is whether it should be level- before starting the engine or after starting the engine.

The reason I ask this is because when I don't start the engine the stick is above the top of the bottle. After I start the engine that stick seems to sink downwards (below the top of the bottle)- Do I still need to top it up?

Thanks,
Ismail

low coolant warning

Hi there,

You don't need to top up the coolant if the red stick is floating in the coolant.
Chances are good that the coolant level sensor (located under the expansion tank) has failed. It's fairly easy to replace this sensor, and I would recommend a coolant flush at the same time(it should be done every 3-4 years, because even though the coolant concentration{50/50 or about -35 degrees C} might be correct, over time the coolant/antifreeze actually becomes acidic and can eat away at the metal)

Just my two cents,
Tiger