airbags

im thinking about getting a 88 325. i havent seen the car yet but ive been told by the owner theres no airbags. i thought it would but since it dosent is it possible to replace the steering column or something to get a driver airbag in there? i love my 850 volvo and cant wait to start working on another car. hopefully this will be the next project

I would never trust a car with a 15yr old airbag. The airbags were not mandated in the U.S. till 1991. Some 1990 E30's did recieve them. I typically pull the airbag wheel off of them and put something aftermarket on cause I've seen what an old airbag can do when it accidently deploys in someone's face driving down the road.

Just my $0.02 worth...

rjp325i

Retrofitting an airbag setup to a 1988 is not worth the time, the effort, the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
or the work necessary to install sensors, bag, wiring etc. I would only use a new airbag ($$$$$$) if I did. Its not easy and not to be done by the inexperienced. If you want an airbag car get an E36 which has two, One for the passenger and one for the driver. The E30 setup was only for the driver. I wholey agree with Lowen on this one.

This is a bit off subject, but I thought worth the note;

About 9 months ago I was seriously considering importing a euro spec E30. Only problem was that the build date was 91, thus meaning that it had to have an airbag to be brought into the states. Unfortantly it did not. After about a month being on the phone daily with BMW NA aswell as the DOT and others I decided against it due to this factor.

I had to have a full airbag system installed on the car. No this wasn't something that they'd let me do myself either (I had planned on just putting an airbag wheel on and the sensors in the right location and leaving it un-hooked up). No go on that. It was requied that I had it installed in Canada by an authorized dealer, the dealer than had to send the paperwork (with pics) to BMW NA to approve it. Why Canada? Cause they would only allow me to bring it to NA threw them, and than bring it to the states from there.

The pricetag? Over $3200 for install... Needless to say, I decided against it [:(]