850i Smell of petrol on startup

Hi, I've just bought an 1990 850i. I am really pleased with it so far but it has just developed a small problem. There is a strong smell of petrol when I start from cold. It goes away after a couple of minutes and does not return.
I'm guessing it's the throttle body but I wondered if it's a common problem and if there is a cheap fix?
Can anyone help?
Thanks Chris

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
i have kinda the same problem in my 5er and its a '99...smell isnt really tooooo strong but i can smell it faintly....like its coming thru my vents or something...hope someone helps here......

Well i had the same problem eventho it sounds like a bad problem ..i started using redline fuel injector fuel additive so the fuel deposits from the injectors sit moist in the intake chambers also it depends on the oil you use as well ...i thought at first my cats were bad but there not ...some good decent feul additive and better oil solves the smell but then again if its not gas smell thats a good sigh ...also with the war on gas if you were to test the fuel we use today it will blow your mind how much bad chemicals were running our cars on ...try the redline additive for the fuel and try going with a synthectic oil !!! [driving]