8 Series Electrical Problems?

I've wanted to buy an 8 series for a long time. However, I've heard they are notorious for major electric malfunctions. Is this true? Is there anything else I should know about the 8 series before I take the plunge? Do they require a lot of maintenance? Are they reliable?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

The 8 series is a beautiful car. But they do have issues. You need to have deep pockets to pay for the maintenance this car can require, or be a good home mechanic, especially the 850. Since the 8 series was not a big volume seller, parts are not as common and subsequently are more expensive.

Dan (Big Daddy) can add some info, I think he had a 750, which shared some parts.

Big Daddy

Oh yeah and they can be costly. With the V12 you have two air filters, two caps, rotors and two very expensive plug wire looms. You also have two Drive by Wire controls that have a high failure rate and they cost. If I were to get another 7 or 8 I would get the 740 or 840, but they are not fool proof.

Thank you both, you've confirmed some of the rumors I've heard. I was told to stay away from the 850 and go for an 840 if I did it since they have less problems than the 850.

Guess I'll be waiting on my 8 series a little longer. My pockets aren't that deep.

The 5 litre M70 motor that comes in the old 8 series is like having two M20 motors that came in the e30 3 series - They are now very dated, old technology... Except there is two of everything in the M70 which adds up! *4 thumbs down* :(

William330

The 850 is seeeeexy, though.

Almost bought one for $20K a few years ago.

The anticipated repairs squashed that idea, though.

The 330 purchased instead has been great, but the new 335 coupe is starting to tempt... must resist... must resist...

I just bought a 95-840 and the biggest problem ive had is keeping all the girls away!!!
ok really the cumputer MIB pixels are bad,so you cant read out what the car is saying it needs,but $275.00 i can get another one,(dealer is 605.00)i have a minor oil leak,and minor power steering leak.im hopeing it wont be a money pit,if you go to e31 faq on the internet thay will tell you anything about these cars,thay are great,but this car i have for $12,500.00 it is a blast,everone sees it on the road and from 70 mph till 155 is a screem.
it just needs some TLC

I have had a 1991 850i for about 6 years and it has been fun but a money pit indeed. Currently I am having major problems with the electrical. When the temperature is under about 55 degrees all the electrical goes haywire. The trunk lock continually actuates on and off. The door locks will not work. If I can get into the car, the car will not start, none of the lights, windows and other systems work. As the outside temperature warms some fo the finctions will come back until the car will start but still the wipers, dash lights sunroof, windows will not work. They will slowly come back one by one as the car warms up. Any ideas about what the problem might be?