318 Trunk Locked Up...need HELP

singring

My 1995 318i trunk is locked up. Everything was working fine, I went shopping for some groceries, locked my car and went to the grocer. I decided to put the bags in the trunk. I inserted the key into the lock, turned the key to the left, pushed the latch button in, and....nothing. The trunk will not unlatch. The key slot remains in the horizontal position, and it cannot be returned to the vertical position. I pulled the key out, and unlocked the car. The trunk remains latched, and again I inserted the key into the horizontal slot, and I am unable to turn the key slot to the vertical position. I am pretty sure the key I am using is a master key.

Any ideas how to unlatch the trunk, before I take it to the dealer?

thanks

Tom

Staff Team
Probably a bad actuator which is a fairly common problem. If it is, it should cost you about $100 to replace.

I just had my uncle's POS E36 over at my house to do some work on it, and I had the same problem. I can't turn the key, but it does push in and out, and I can hear the actuator unlock it when I unlock the doors. I got it open by unlocking the doors, and then I pushed the key/latch botton in while pushing down hard on the trunk, and that managed to pop it. I dunno if that little tip will work, but try giving it a push down before and during the time you press the button.

Get in the boot through your back seat.

Where the latch is wrapped round the tab hit it with a screwdriver and a hammer, will pop it open, then check whats wrong!

Done it myself! (but without getting in through the back seats)

But i wont exactly explain that one haha

Is it Us Spec ?

I have a wierd stuff on my 318i also. I cannot open/close the trunk with the remote. It has to be done with the key BUT the key inserted in the trunk can open/lock everything, on the other hand, key inserted in any door can't open or close the trunk.. Is it specific to US model ? I recall my parents 318tds back in 98 was not working this way. Everything was done from the remote.