2002 X5: Any issues?

eakines

I'm getting ready to purchase a 2002 X5 3.0 from one of the BMW dealerships here in Portland, OR. It's a Cert. Pre-Owned car, looks to be in excellent condition with 25K miles. Wondering if there are any major problems or things I should be aware of, in general, with the '02 X5s.

Any advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I'm stuck with a LEMON '03 Saab 9-3 since it was new and am really leary of cars.

ksbmwers

2002 X5

eakines,

We have 75,000 miles on our 2002 X5, and have had no major problems. The only issues we've encountered was some slight chipping on the inside door handles from my wifes rings, and a bubble in the material on the inside door surface. The dealer took care of both of those at no cost to us.

It has been a great car. Good luck with your purchase.

Unfortunately, I can not say that my 2002 X5 experience has been great.
I love the vehicle itself---it handles really well, and is very easy to drive.
The big problem has been the tranmission. It started pounding on the down-shift just after 25,000. It worsened and worsened......They replaced the computers and reset the whole thing, put on all new straps, pullys, etc, before putting in a rebuilt transmission. The same problem occurred again, however the dealer said that it had to be "bad enough" before they'd do anything. Well, eventually a new transmission. The dealer said that they have had problems with the transmissions in the 2002 X5 and the 2002 7 series cars.
Still, I think the thing is great, if it weren't for this........until......
I had a stalling issue 3 times. Twice it stalled when I cut the steering wheel real hard to turn into a parking place--it just died. The other time it stalled was when I hit the brakes really hard to avoid a collision. Well, apparently these are safety features. OK. But, yesterday, on the highway, 2 cars in front of me rear-ended each other. I hit the brakes hard to avoid being a part of the accident too. I did not hit anything, and no one hit me. The vehicle did not die, instead it went up to 4000-5000 rpm, just reving like mad, but wouldn't move. In drive it wouldn't move, in reverse it wouldn't move. I turned it off, waited a few minutes, started it up again, and it went crazy again --up to 4000 rpm, but in drive it would not move. I shut it off at sat there, while all the rest of the traffic drove around. After about 10 minutes, I started it and it idled OK, went into drive and I drove for 10 miles. Then as I was taking a sharp turn (one we always do when going home), it revved way up again and wouldn't move. Another 10 minutes after turning it off, it was OK. This morning it appeared OK when pulling out of the garage, but ultimately it is ending up back at the dealer again. (53,000 miles) Oh, and now the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light is on, but there are still 2 green bars left--figure that one out. It may be what ?????? Does any one know ??
Although I really like this vehicle, if theis is something major, and it is likely to have more issues, it may be time for a new one....Any thoughts?