1999 528i window regulator

badger_729

Does anyone have any experience with replacing their window regulators? I have taken the door apart and it seems like a pretty easy job. The one thing I noticed was the odd bolt heads at the top of the window regulator, it looks like a flower shape. I'm just curious if there is any DIY instructions on doing this. Thanks

Window regulator

Hi there Badger,

Are you talking 'bout the front (driver's) or rear window? (not that the instructions differ too much).
There are some special tools that are needed to do this kind of job(like female torx sockets), and you'll want to make sure that the vapour barrier doesn't get torn/ripped in the process.
If you can wait until Monday night, I might be able to get the instructions for you, but you'd do even better to buy the Bentley manual for your vehicle, and then you could do a whole lot more stuff on your car without having to rely on people replying to your posts.

Asking for a little patience,
Tiger

window regulator

Hi there...

Tuesday night, and i found the instructions...
for the wrong car!
Sorry, it's gonna take me another day to get the right ones.
I'm gonna assume that it's the front window that doesn't work, and get those instructions.

Will reply soon,
Tiger

Hi there...

Tuesday night, and i found the instructions...
for the wrong car!
Sorry, it's gonna take me another day to get the right ones.
I'm gonna assume that it's the front window that doesn't work, and get those instructions.

Will reply soon,
Tiger

You are correct, it is the front windows. Thanks for your help.

window regulator

Hey there,

1. remove the outer window cover strip.
2. remove the door trim panel
3. remove sound/vapour barrier
4. lower glass until bolts(that hold glass to regulator) are accessible
5. loosen bolts holding glass
6. tilt back of glass up and remove from door
7. pull cable back and detatch it from the inner door handle
8. undo the connector, undo screws and remove the speaker box
9. remove the connector from the window motor
10. pull off the guide
11. undo the top three screws/bolts, loosen the bottom three, and remove the complete cable on the window regulator

FOR INSTALLATION:
1. install the regulator in the locating bracket and install all bolts loosely
2. tighten down the upper left and upper right bolts (as you look at the inside of the door)
3. re-install the window glass and switch, and lift window up, leaving 10 mm gap from the top
4. adjust window gap dimensions: top of glass to window seal/finisher = 10mm and glass diagonal to glass seal/finisher = 5.4mm(seems real specific to me)
5. tighten the clamping jaws for the glass
6. lower the window down to its stop and tighten down the bottom left and bottom right regulator bolts
7. close the window firmly and tighten the 2 remaining bolts (toward the middle of the door)
8. re-install sound/vapour barrier and door trim panel
9. re-install the outer window cover strip

Et voila, there you have it...
Sounds real simple, eh?

Hope these instructions help somewhat,
Tiger

P(ost) S(cript): Good idea to look at the link given by Eugene. Photos do help and i might have missed something

Last edited: