135 vs 335

Hello everyone this is my first post. I am a long time car nut. Am now getting to a place in life where a nice performance automobile is starting to be within my means. I have been watching the upcoming release of the 1 series. Last year I took part in the Susan Koman <sp?> drive. I drove a 328 convertible, and a 335. The 335 stole my heart. I liked the 328, but the thust that I felt in the 335 is what took the cake. I have a difficult time spending 40+ on a car. If I do, I will certainly want to drive it for years to come. I know that there is close to 6k difference between the 1, and the 3 series cars. Is all that I am losing is the backseat and 200 pounds? I live less than 3 miles from work, so it's daily juants will be less than 6 miles a day. How well will the Bimmer hold up to the engine getting totally warm only twice a week or so? I know that no one will say stick with an econo box, but budget and sense will demand that this car will last for years. My current car is a 2000 that I bought new, and just rolled over 67k miles. Just something to kick around and see what folks think.
Thanks!
Mike

Big Daddy

Mike, first welcome to the board! Are you single, or have kids? If it were just me, or me and the wife I might get the 135i, but than again the last 3 series I owned was a 91 318is. I have an M roadster and have owned a 733i, a 750iL, a 320i and a Z3 2.8. All nice cars and when you own one big one and a small one it is ok. But if I had kids or planned to soon I would get the 335i. Not much help huh? Glad to have you here, enjoy!

I am married in my mid 40's. We do have 3 kids, but we have a '05 Chrysler Town & Country that can fill the roll of people <and everything else> hauler. The car that it will be replacing is a '00 Dodge Neon. It has 4 doors and a hampster, but it is seldom that anyone is back there. I think that we can get by with 2 doors just fine.
Thanks for the warm welcome [cheers]

Tom

Staff Team
Welcome, I think the 1-Series is definitely going to be a very strong contender within the tuner community. With a few simple bolt-ons you can probably easily get it into the new M3 territory.

Welcome Mike!

I understand what you mean by the 328 vs. 335 performance comparison, after driving the 325 and the 330, there was no way I could buy the 325.

The inline 6 engine in these cars is so well refined, it is truly darn near bullet proof. You won't have any issues with your short distance driving. Also BMW engines warm up FAST so you will reach close to operating temperature even in those short drives. My '94 has 135K, the '99 has 140K and both engines are running strong. (The '94 is in my garage wrecked, but that's another story). My 330 is the garaged cream puff, 5 years old and only 40K miles.

If you have a people hauler and are looking to save a few $$, I think the 1er is a great choice. And remember this is not really a brand new model, they have been selling overseas for 3 years, so the bugs are mostly worked out. I have seen the 3 door in Europe alot, and recently saw the US 1er at the Philly auto show. This is going to be a great car in the US! This is a car that drives best with a manual transmission, hint, hint!!

wonderful posts. Kirby made mention of the manual tranny. I am not at that point yet. I do know that I think that I want the comfort access system. I just think that its a cool idea not having to dig for keys in my pocket. I am a computer geek by trade, and always have a laptop slung over my shoulder on my trek out to the car. I think that grabbing the door handle, it unlocking, throwing the laptop into the back seat, plopping down, hitting the start button, is something that I could quickly get used to... Ideas on that one?

When I am not in NJ, there are cars that I use that have comfort access-type systems. I think they are great systems, very quick and convenient way to startup the vehicle, and to lock/unlock. It is deifnitely very worth it for only $500.

As for the 135i or the 335i, it really just depends on your budget. If you already have a people-hauler, then go for the 135i and save your cash. I think it is more important to get the 3.0 liter biturbo motor than to get the bigger car (although I know you wanted the 335i or the 135i anyways).

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
I think the 1er is a great choice. And remember this is not really a brand new model, they have been selling overseas for 3 years, so the bugs are mostly worked out. I have seen the 3 door in Europe alot, and recently saw the US 1er at the Philly auto show. This is going to be a great car in the US! This is a car that drives best with a manual transmission, hint, hint!!

I agree with Kirby that this is going to be a great little car and the manual transmission is the way to go if you are getting the car so you can have a fun "toy"...(at least that is the sense I am getting).
As far as it being a brand-new model...not entirely true..the 1er series as a whole has been out in Europe for a while as a hatchback 3-door, but not in the states at all and NOT with the 3.5L bi-turbo......so new kinks that may have not been seen before will possibly still show up...Granted this engine is in the 335i but that is still a different auto than the 135i aside from the engine....

First off, welcome to our community....

Secondly, I absolutely love the 335i coupe, but just to think of a chipped bi-turbo 135i makes my mouth water. There is going to be a lot of surprised big-boy toys out there when they meet up with one of those....

You really couldn't go wrong either way, but you could save a few bills. With the money you save you could chip the 135i and maybe more. Good luck with what you choose, either way it’s a BMW. Once you own one you’re more than likely going to own one, in one form or another, for the rest of your life….

Like I said, welcome to the family….

Wilkommen an Bord! There was a huge 2 page write up last week in the Los Angeles Times about the 135i. Basically it felt that the 335i is better looking, probably safer and with the lease/finance rates with BMW, the 335i might be actually cheaper.

Whenever BMW launches a new model the arrogantly/stupidly set absurd finance/lease rates. When I got my 2007 X5 3.0si, the lease payment would have been higher than on a $90,000 7 Series. I just bought it, but I prefer leasing.

strider41

Check out the tests of the 135 in Car and Driver and Road & Track. They suggest if your looking for a pure driver's car, the 135 may be the way to go. However, if you want the same performance with additional room and comfort, the 335 is the better buy. Drive both and see which one appeals the most to you and pick that one.

abhi_k

I had the exact same dilemma.
But since this is gonna be my only car, I'm going with the 335i Sedan. The coupe just doesn't justify the extra money over the 135 coupe(you can't fit a 6 foot guy like me in the rear in either), and the whole idea was to be practical..
The 135 coupe is def more fun to drive, especially with the new M Sport steering wheel.
335i is more like the M3 of the yesteryears. Looks plain jane, till u floor it [:D]

the 1 series may have performance, but it really isn't as cheap as you would think. plus, it's kinda weird looking, imo. lol. i think the 335i is a better value. the coupe looks a lot nicer than the 4 door.